Giant mystery ink?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E

Reaction score
This would (might) be a good try from a member who has worked with Acid.
Don't know if this would work on glass, but would be good info if it did.
Some years back I worked with the State Patrol (WA) in recovery of stolen Motor Cycles. The serial numbers on these bikes were ground so far down you could not see it with the naked eye. They poured some kind of acid (Unknown what kind) on the shaved serial number and it poped right out. Better be a throw a way and someone who knows acid, but would be a good try for a brave person.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Ambly,
I think you've got it![:-]Halfway,at least.Now that you've painted it,carefully scratch away the paint with a plastic scaper!(NOT a scouring pad,that might clean the depressions as well)Something that will stay FLAT on the surface of the glass should leave paint in the peening.

Hope THIS works!I'm going nuts wondering what the hell your bottle is-and we all know what they say about curiousity and kats![8D]

KAT

P.S.David,Most acids don't react with glass like that,and the one used (over here at least,) on suspect vehicles is plain ol' muriatic.Good thought,though.

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Kat,

Another good idea, but it didn't really work out. There was an amorphous pattern of something, but it was even less decipherable than the plain glass. I'm almost ready to try David's acid idea, but I don't think it would work with glass. Besides, I've decided this one's a keeper; I'll figure it out someday, and till then it will be good for tormenting dinner party guests :)

Thanks for everyone's help with this!

Sean

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123