Ginger Beer Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jmg198

Reaction score
Just learned this:
Concentric rings base (CR), circ: 1840-1880
This base type appears on pottery bottles and was formed when the thrown bottle was separated from the potter's wheel. A wire was looped around the bottle's base and crossed. As the wheel spun, the wire was pulled and sliced the bottle off the wheel and created a series of concentric rings on the base of the bottle.
from: http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABBottleBasesBeer.htm

Mister

Reaction score
Yeah it is a cool website to browse and learn. Another neat thing to see is the inside of the bottle. If you shine light you can make out were the potter started forming the bottle.

brokenshovel

Reaction score
Also listed as Viet and Feat instead of Victor with several attempted spellings of the last name in the Baltimore directories through the years.
@1850-65
1851 directory shows Eastern Ave but I believe he was mostly on Lee St. for most of his years. He was a brewer of several different beverages, mead, beer, vinegar. Stoneware could have held anything. Stoneware bottles from him as also gray in color and a little thinner than the one you have.

See if the bottom has two lines drug through the clay. Several of the Baltimore stoneware beers must have been from the same pottery who only marked his bottles with these two lines. Not much is known about which pottery made the stoneware beers in Baltimore at the time.

76328A34608E403582B53B73472582AC.jpg

Attachments

• 76328A34608E403582B53B73472582AC.jpg
    76328A34608E403582B53B73472582AC.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 70

jmg198

Reaction score
I don't see two lines dug through the bottom. I tried shining a light in the bottle unfortunately I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Couldn't see that well either. Thank you to everyone who has helped with identifying this bottle. I wonder how the bottle got from Baltimore to the Potomac River Tributaries around St. Mary's County. Did a crew member of a oyster buying boat bring it with him from Baltimore and after he was done with the contents discard it on the Oyster bed below? Where these bottles reused and refilled?

epackage

Reaction score
They were indeed reused and your thoughts on how it wound up where it was found is very possible. I once got a Paterson NJ stone beer just like yours all the way from Hawaii... Many Paterson NJ bottles are found in Souith Jersey because people brought them along on their trips to the beaches of Jersey...[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology