Golden Bitters and PBS Show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
We were watching an episode of "Time Team America" on PBS the other night. They dug parts of a golden bitters. They re-constructed what it would have looked like. It was a teal-colored bottle. I wondered if anyone had any examples to share. I don't know much about this bottle.

It was funny to hear them talk about "looters". One archaeologist tried to locate and dig the privy (this was an old fort in South Dakota, from the civil war). She described it as a time capsule. That made me wonder why they were wasting time digging in other areas, not finding much. She thought she hit the privy, but blamed the lack of any shards or materials on looters. Talking to some residents of the area, the archaeologists learned some buttons had been recovered by metal detectors. Again, looting was mentioned. To quote one of them, "People are mainly looting these sites for bottles. They can sell them for a lot of money." This show is interesting at times, but also pretty boring.

I thought it was kind of ridiculous. This isn't ancient Egypt or something. They're not God. Most bottles we dig are not even worth much.

I am interested in learning more about that bottle, though. Thanks.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Your gonna have to give me a heads up on the PBS stuff. I watch a lot but always hear of this when it's done. Sure, I catch a lot of documentaries but know the britcom nights. I don't have TV guide. I guess I'll have to start looking online in advance.
Did you catch the CW rerun for the 150th a week or two ago?
I'm still waiting for the Alcott spot again.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Eric, I use THIS ..you can choose just to see what's on your favorite channels, makes it easier to get through..

About the 'looting' business.. yeah, right..! [>:]

RedGinger

Reaction score
You might try youtube for at least some clips of these shows, or PBS's website. I check TVGuide's website, but it says different things than our local TV Guide channel! I will make sure to come on and let you know when I see another one of these programs.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Lauren & Eric,

I'm a "looter" and enjoy looting. What kinda Golden Bitters was it? I found a couple.

bitters_bottle_-19562508005533440.jpg
From.

"Both sides say GEO. C. HUBBEL & CO GOLDEN BITTERS on middle of front panel."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

011.02.jpg

"A closer look at the triangular shaped Balsdon's Golden Bitters, showing the side embossed, 1856, N.Y. Balsdon's / Golden Bitters. can bee seen on left." From.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

golden-bitters.jpg

"We respectfully invite attention to and consideration of the justly celebrated and reliable remedy for DYSPEPSIA, HEARTBURN, DEBILITY and PROSTRATION. The Proprietors are proud to acknowledge the unparalleled success which has attended the sale of their valuable preparation, known in nearly every portion of the civilized world as the
"GOLDEN BITTERS."
We risk nothing when we term them a valuable preparation., for they are one of the few articles of the present day which are not a humbug; and we are willing and able to satisfy any person or persons who will call upon us, that the celebrated "GOLDEN BITTERS" are a genuine bona fide hygienic article. It is the wish of the proprietors that the virtue of the article be tested before condemning. A decision of their merits by any one who has tried them is worth a million of purchased bogus testimonials.
FOR CREATING A HEALTHY APPETITE
they are invaluable, and are unequaled as TONIC . They are mild in their action, and operate by giving vigor and strength to the system—not by any change they produce in the solids, but through the medium of the living principle.
THEY ARE PURELY VEGETABLE,
being composed of Gentian Root, Calamus, Sassafras, and many other remedial agents of the Vegetable World, all preserved in Jamaica Rum.
AS A BEVERAGE,
they are the most wholesome, invigorating and palatable stimulant ever offered to the public. And the fact of their being prepared chemically and scientifically, precludes the possibility of a bitter, unpleasant taste, common to Bitters generally offered for sale. We especially recommend them to LADIES, and particularly to those suffering from DEBILITY, WEAKNESS AND PROSTRATION. half a wine glass of these "Bitters" three or four times a day will produce a remarkable healthy change in persons greatly debilitated. The "Golden Bitters" have been tried, and not found wanting,. They are put up in our own patent quart bottles, and for sale by Druggist., Grocers, &c, throughout the world. Each bottle bears a facsimile of the signature of Hubbel & Co. GEO. C. HUBBEL & CO, Sole Proprietors, Hudson, N. Y. Central Depot, American Express Building, N. Y.
A Treatise on
DYSPEPSIA
Sent free to any address by JNO. J. KROMER, 408 Chestnut St., Philadelphia." From.

page1+orsonwells.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks Red, I still watch a bunch and try to catch History Detectives and my Britcoms are getting newer. Some great stuff coming up this year. I also like the Woodwright shop, that's guys a hoot. I never heard of Time Team America though.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
And surf, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,
That should last the week I hope.[:D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
No problem. There is a British Time Team show and an American version. You can find clips on youtube. They play them at random times. I caught an interesting one at 3 am , once.

Surface, it looked like the clear one, except it was teal. If you go to around 40 minutes or so into the show, they show you them trying to dig the privy and what this variant looked like. Thanks for the interesting info. I very much enjoy "looting" as well[8|][:D][;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
This is cool. I think I'll get rid of TV and just keep internet.

CB88CF610F194056A2AB1FBB941774A8.jpg

Attachments

• CB88CF610F194056A2AB1FBB941774A8.jpg
    CB88CF610F194056A2AB1FBB941774A8.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 75

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1