Golden Bitters and PBS Show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TJSJHART

Reaction score
DIGGERS SHOULD BE GLAD OF LIVING IN THE U.S. IN ENGLAND , I BELIEVE , THEY TAKE ANYTHING HISTORIC AND OR VALUABLE AND YOU GET NEXT TO NOTHING ,BUT EXPOSER

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

We have to remember there are some good ones, like our former archy member, Bearswede. He's a good guy.
Bill Lindsey credit's lots of archy's for his wonderful site. Don't forget them. PS: did anyone see Ron at any of the shows last year?

Nothing is black and white, there's lots of gray area. For the most part though, a farmers back yard dump should be, like the wild hog, open season.

I forgot about his excellent bottle site. Thanks for the reminder, Cows.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TJSJHART

DIGGERS SHOULD BE GLAD OF LIVING IN THE U.S. IN ENGLAND , I BELIEVE , THEY TAKE ANYTHING HISTORIC AND OR VALUABLE AND YOU GET NEXT TO NOTHING ,BUT EXPOSER

Speaking of that, the mudlarking site, Thames and Field, is excellent. If I had permission to dig up artifacts that old, I would have no problem giving them to the experts who document and research them and add them to museums. Remember there have been a number of farmers who dug up ancient Roman artifacts on their property and got to keep them or some of the profits, I believe.

GuntherHess

Reaction score

They actually have a pretty good system for ancient finds. People must report finds that may have historic signifigance. The museums have the option to buy it at a reasonable price. In any case the item gets properly documented. VERY few items are kept by the museums , most go home with the finders. The public all get to enjoy the items they do keep instead of sitting in one person's basement or on the black market. The finder gets credit when the item goes on display. Personally having an item in the Smithsonian with my name on the tag would be worth far more to me than the dollar amount of the item.
I think most diggers there are pretty happy with the arangement.
Its not that different from the current US laws for shipwreck treasure.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
WELL THAT CLEARED UP MY CLOUDED MIND,, I CAN SEE..I CAN SEE...THANKS GUNTHER.

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

ORIGINAL: TJSJHART

Speaking of that, the mudlarking site, Thames and Field, is excellent.  If I had permission to dig up artifacts that old, I would have no problem giving them to the experts who document and research them and add them to museums.  Remember there have been a number of farmers who dug up ancient Roman artifacts on their property and got to keep them or some of the profits, I believe.

Dear Mr. BUT [sic] EXPOSER & Ms. Ginger,

I would heartily agree we are indeed fortunate to live in these United States (less, of course, Oregon and Washington, and parts of DC) from a freedom to dig standpoint. I believe there is some confusion as to the British Treasure Act of 1996. There is a Reader's Digest version of the Treasure Act HERE.

The relevant bits of this: " It legally obliges finders of objects which constitute a legally defined term of treasure to report their find to their local coroner within fourteen days. An inquest led by the coroner then determines whether the find constitutes treasure or not. If it is declared to be treasure then the owner must offer the item for sale to a museum at a price set by an independent board of antiquities experts (Treasure Valuation Committee). Only if a museum expresses no interest in the item, or is unable to purchase it, the owner can retain it."

The Portable Antiquities Scheme (our British cousins always have the best nomenclature) is digested OVER HERE. Again, some more relevant wording:

"The scheme funds the posts of Finds Liaison Officers (FLOs) at county councils or local museums to whom finders can report their objects. The FLO is qualified to examine the find and provide the finder with more information on it. He or she also records the find, its function, date, material and location and places this information into a database which can be analysed. The information on the findspot can be used to organise more research on the area. Many previously unknown archaeological sites have been identified through the scheme and it has contributed greatly to the level of knowledge of the past. FLOs maintain close links with local metal detecting societies and have contributed to a thaw in relationships between the detectorists and archaeologists who often previously disdained one another.

The find remains the property of the finder or the landowner who are free to dispose of non-treasure finds."

But, nevermind, budgetary schemes have knocked the whole shebang into a cocked hat in recent days. Remember, you don't have to report to your FLO should he or she not be properly credentialed. And I don't mean simply by wearing the Kilts.

I do thank you for your interest in my Minty Green Ford Focus, which does have all it's paperwork in order...

Men-in-Kilts.jpg

RedGinger

Reaction score
RE: Time Team on right now

For Cows, who requested alerts as to when the show came on, and anyone else who is interested, Time Team is on our local PBS station right now. We have two of them, so I'm not sure if it will be on in your area. This episode is on Jamestown. I am just catching the second half of it. If it re-runs, could someone let us know? Thanks. If I find out it is coming on again, I'll post it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1