Good luck Bottle Karma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
OK, at the risk of coming off as really odd, I'm just wondering if any of you ( like me ) have any superstitions for bringing good luck when you go digging. This is a list of what I do when I'm trying to summons all the good luck karma I can dredge up when I'm heading out for a day of dump or privy hunting. No comments from the peanut gallery...

1. I wear 2 different colored gloves, one brown one white, 100% cotton.
2. I stop at the corner store closest to the prospective site, and buy a chocolate milk,
and a twinkie.
3. I kiss all of my childrens hands ( 3 kids, 6 hands). They always wish me luck ( then
roll there eyes as I head out the door, like " what a weird Dad I have :)"
4. My wife rubs my belly, and says " pontils, pontils, pontils" ( you think I"m making this
up ! )
5. I listen to the Greatful Deads " Terrapin Station". I highly recommend this.
6. While you're in hole, never kill a worm. Especially if you're in a pontil layer. If you
rip and tear away carelessy and break a big worm in half cause you're recklessly digging as you pull pontils out, the bottle gods will reward you with cracks and
busted lips if you carelessly kill worms along the way.

7. Never bring buckets to carry back your loot, until you actully find loot. The bottle gods find this presumtious.

8. As you dig broken pontilled bottles and shards, never get pissed. Say over and over
in your head " Take whatever it gives, and be grateful for what you get". This is the most important one.

9. Dont hunt for dumps or privies for more than 6 hours in one day. If you have a good
spot, hell, dig 24 hours.

10. As obsessive/compulsive as you are in nature, make a real effort to achieve balance in your life. Dont sacrifice family time, for the high of digging a treasure. This is the hardest one. But if you can achieve some balance in your life, and still have bottle digging as your hobby, it is for the best. Sure, have your fantasy about how it will feel to pull 6 mint colored pontilled medicines out of one hole on some cloudy day in October, but even that will fade away some day. Keeping it all in perspective and balanced out will last your whole life. I think the " good luck " comes when it's all balanced out pretty well, and you can sit in a hole, hip deep in muck, holding a gorgeous hand blown American bottle from 150 years ago, and head home with a big smile.
ps. Can you tell I'm going crazy waiting for the ground to freeze in Maine so I can DIG!?
Bare with me :)

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Bram...

I think that you are the one to bring "...balance to the force...!!!" You are one with the hole... the probe... the gloves... the shovel... they surround us... penetrates us... and we become one with the "Force"[&:]

May the bottle "force" be with you...

Wayne

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Wayne, I see you're up late too. I hope "the force" is with me this spring. But like I say, I'll take what I get, and be thankful that I'm out in the wood digging bottles, and not sitting on my ass, staring at a computer screen or TV.
I have a light week, you got any time? I'm diggin in Lebanon Me tomorrow
Bram

lexdigger

Reaction score
I've got my Lucky gloves, my Lucky probe, and whenever my wife calls me on my cell phone, I find something good!!! This is something I have no control over and cannot just Ask her to call me. She has to actually call me on her own free will, needing to ask me a question or tell me something. I don't know why it happens, it just does??? I know I always make sure my phone is charged and have it with the camera when I'm hunting for treasures... Good Luck out there!!! Chris Capley

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi bram, very interesting[8|]. well for #3 i dont't have any children's hand to kiss, but i do kiss ginger on the nose, maybe i need to kiss all 4 of her paws? as for #7, do i have to leave my whole back pack behind or just take the bags out? well if it dosn't rain on tues like today i can get out to dig. hope you have a thaw. rhona

capsoda

Reaction score
My wife an I just load our tools of the dig trade and go.[8|]

I have a church going when ever the door is open buddy named Temple {not kiddin} that prays over each spot he pushes his probe into. He never seemes to dig anything thats not mint. Boy, I might have to get right.[sm=lol.gif]

madman

Reaction score
hey my karma tends too kick in when i dig alone mike

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah Madman, it never fails!!! Take someone to your good spot, or any spot for that matter, and watch them dig all the good ones!!! LOL! When you dig alone you get them all!!! Chris Capley

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Bram...

My good luck Karma for my bottle hunting is...

I make sure I have enough air in my tanks!!![;)] That always works for me. I know air is a little overated, but it serves a purpose ...

I also like put on my suit and make sure that my regulator works and my mask doesn't leak...[&:]

Wayne

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday