Good luck Bottle Karma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
At an ice cream stand that was being taken down for a bigger one, I was sifting the dirt under the stoop where people ordered...it was typical spaced boards, and if a person dropped a coin, it went in the dirt under the stoop...we sifted more than $70.00 out of a 3'x6' x8" deep pile of shoe-sand. The guys I was with were rip tearing to get the job done, so they told me "OK, we got it all, you're wasting your time looking for another dime"....and 10 seconds later I pulled out a 1921 Silver Dollar that was so pocket worn that it was very hard to tell what it was...obviously a lucky charm someone carried for many a year, like you do.

Excellent story! One of my older brothers and I used to metal detect a lot, and he loved talking THing so much I heard him tell me at least a thousand different places to look for coins...but I never heard about the ice cream stand idea. Good thinking!!!

sweetrelease

Reaction score
i'm not really into this type of stuff ,but if i had to say one thing that seems to "get" me good bottles ,it would be driving past new dug up "work" sites after work! seems to always be one or two good bottles in the dirt pile[;)] other then that i'm hit or miss[:-]~matt

appliedlips

Reaction score
I only suscribe to the the empty boxes theory[:D]. In the last few months,this has not held true and have had a couple good digs, AND had plenty of room in boxes for the finds. I always anticipate good finds,even specific bottles.If you don't expect to find stuff everytime out,it's easy to talk yourself in to going home early when a permission falls through,or you dig a dud hole,etc..I always have fun but I like success.Just like anything in life,we make our own luck.A prayer never hurts,though.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
This stuff is all very interesting. On my first dig, I mentioned that a piece of glass "looked blue". I was informed that nothing could scare away cobalt glass faster.

I have never followed the bottle box theory. Once, I didn't have one and I set a bottle on the passenger seat. It rolled over into the crack between the door and the seat. You'll never guess what happened when I opened the door from the outside without first checking where the bottle was. Crunch. That was frustrating! I immediately wondered how big of an idiot I was. (You don't have to answer). That bottle sat on the bottom of a lake for 100 years so that I could break it on the very day it came up.[:mad:] I always take my bottle box now. It seems to have no effect on what I find. Sometimes I do well and fill it up. Othertimes, it's empty.

One weird thing for me diving is golf balls. Early on in my diving career, I found a hutch about two seconds after I found a golf ball on the bottom. A few minutes later I found another golf ball then another hutch. The Pavlov's dog thing went off in my head. Dog finds golf ball, dog gets hutch. I don't think that trend continued after that, but I still start digging in for hutches when I find a golf ball.

One last thing about Karma. Maybe you have had similar experiences. After I give away a bottle, it seems like I find the same bottle shortly after that. Almost like you are being rewarded for sharing?

tigue710

Reaction score
golf balls are bottle magnets huh? I might try that! I've also noticed the gifting a bottle brings bottles back quicker, but if you start giving em away expecting something back you'll probably end up disappointed...

I'm ripe in superstition...

I do always bring a box but when ever I decide were going to hit it big and bring an extra box we get nothing... every single time.

One thing i dont subscribe to is that the good ones are always broken... sometime they are, sometimes they are not... I do believe thinking that will bring you that. Manifest destiny so to say, which I'm a big fan of. I try to think about what I want to dig, and know that I will dig it, but dont go out on a dig expecting to find it... I only hope to dig some bottles...

I'm also with Chris, you dig enough holes you will find bottles...

passthebottle

Reaction score
After finding a good dig site I will very rarely dig it right away even though I might have plenty of time to, I will clear the the area of cans and broken bottle and trees and whatnot and then go back and dig it the next day or a week later. The thrill of anticipating finding those bottles and dreaming of those good finds usually are better than the actual dig itself . Spots are so hard to find now that I like to savour them as much as possible.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I admire your discipline, I could NEVER do that. If I find a hot spot, I dig until it is finished, or until I pass out :)
ORIGINAL: passthebottle

After finding a good dig site I will very rarely dig it right away even though I might have plenty of time to, I will clear the the area of  cans  and broken bottle and trees and whatnot and then go back and dig it the next day or a week later. The thrill of anticipating finding those bottles and dreaming of those good finds usually are better than the actual dig itself . Spots are so hard to find now that I like to savour them as much as possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc