Good luck Bottle Karma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
The spot that I pray in the is the weird thing

Rick, should we ask, or are you not likely to reveal that deep dark secret?

My brother and I prayed for pontils one morning, and sure enough we hit a great pontil site. We got four colored pontils and an aqua Harrisons! Is praying is the secret to getting what we need.......?

tigue710

Reaction score
Thats how we do it too. As long as your not expecting anything you cant be disappointed...

hence the "aint no bottles in there"

Jim

Reaction score
I'm generally not superstitious, but bottle digging is the one exception to that. I strongly agree that talking or speculating about good finds before a dig begins is BAD, no matter how good or "certain" the prospect seems. That one has bitten my digging partner and I many times, so we quit doing it.

I also have two "pocket pieces" that I have carried for years, a silver dollar in my right pants pocket and an old "lucky deuce" $2 bill in the back of my wallet. I don't know that those things really do anything, but at least I'm never broke and always have at least three bucks on me [:D]. ~Jim

Oldtimer

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Jim

I also have two "pocket pieces" that I have carried for years, a silver dollar in my right pants pocket

At an ice cream stand that was being taken down for a bigger one, I was sifting the dirt under the stoop where people ordered...it was typical spaced boards, and if a person dropped a coin, it went in the dirt under the stoop...we sifted more than $70.00 out of a 3'x6' x8" deep pile of shoe-sand. The guys I was with were rip tearing to get the job done, so they told me "OK, we got it all, you're wasting your time looking for another dime"....and 10 seconds later I pulled out a 1921 Silver Dollar that was so pocket worn that it was very hard to tell what it was...obviously a lucky charm someone carried for many a year, like you do.

"Nothing in there" strikes again!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Wow, amazing how superstitious everyone is, I figured it was just me. Thanks for bringing the thread back up :) It made me realize I haven't listened to the Grateful Deads Terrapin Station for a while, and thats a big one for me. My kids are getting older, and really get bugged when I try to kiss their hands now. And Kevin, thanks, but I'll stick with Cristina as far as rubbing my belly and saying 'pontils". We can have a lucky hand shake or something, but lets leave it at that :)
There's a break in the weather today, Chuck and I are going to try to get out for a dig " but I'm not expecting to find ANYTHING" :)

I'll let you know how we do.

Hope everyone is managing through what seems like a tougher than usual winter, money wise, jobs wise, and weather wise.

B

phil44

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in never bring boxes or newspaper for wrapping finds. The other thing is never speculate as the hole starts to look good, If you do this the bottles begin metamorphisizing in the hole - turn from good to bad.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Some people just have a built in bottle detector, like my Husband. Also, knowing what to look for and what you're doing helps. I had a feeling one time before a dig that I would find something. I did, and it was nothing great, just a warranted flask, but it is special to me because of the cool old location and the excitement of finding it. I just had a weird feeling before I got there. I almost didn't go that day, but I told myself it would be good for me to get out. Since then, I just try not to talk about a dig too much before I go. I don't expect to find anything. If I have a good feeling about it, I don't say anything. I did have a lucky outfit I wore last summer. I'll have to break it out again this year. I am so sick of hibernating and not being able to dig! Plus, I've been sick for what seems like forever now! I'm just holding out for summer!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Also, try never to complain or whine while hiking to a digging location. LOL. Then you feel so bad if you find something. Plus, it is just bad karma for the dig.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday