Got Opium?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
I have a good go with for those pipes if I could figure out where the devil I put it. It in a box somewhere. I assume its a small bottle or vial, its still packaged intact in a small cylindrical container with some really nice color and graphics on it. Oil of poppy is printed on the container, that would be opium wouldn't it ?? Always wanted to open it to see what the bottle or vial looked like, but could not get myself to do so, being it would destroy the displayability of the container. I bought it years ago, but never did find out how old it actually was. I believe it came from France if I remember right. I also have some opium order forms from the turn of the century from a pharmacy in Newport, Ky, thought those were pretty cool as well. The pipes definitely rule though, thanks much for posting them, being I have never seen any of them before.

Jim

Reaction score
Those are wicked cool pipes, Kev. I love finding old pipes in the pits. Never found any opium pipes yet, though. ~Jim

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
All my opium pipes have lines or stars...those have faces!!! DUDE!! THOSE HAVE FACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

pupman

Reaction score
Thanks everybody,as I've said before I appreciate the kind comments ,it makes it a pleasure to share some of my finds with you!,Kev

Leisalu

Reaction score
WOW, way cool. We dig a few face pipes from 1850s pits but have never seen anything like those and the best part is that their intact. Thanks for sharing your finds, that what the hobby is all about.

LC

Reaction score
There was a pipe factory situated about 25 miles southeast of Cincinnati along State Route 52, at a town called Point Pleasant, Ohio. It is also the birthplace of President Ulysses S. Grant. The factory operated I believe from around the 1840 or 50s to around 1800. A lot of people used to go there and dig for pipes, most found were rejects I imagine. They made the facial pipes there as well as other. I believe they also made marbles as well as possibly other things, never found any material on the subject as to what all they did produce there. There were hundreds, possibly thousands of pipes dug out of the ground there over a good number of years. I never did take the time to check it out as others did. It is my understanding that digging has not been permitted there for many years now. I have seen many of the pipes that came from there, the facials were very attractive. Some were kind of collaspsed and others quite nice. But I never seen any that came from there with stems like these, I guess you added the stem yourself ??

pupman

Reaction score
Hi L C, Very interesting information on the opium pipes,from what I've seen they can be considered very rare especially since they are COMPLETLEY INTACT,not restored..Thanks for sharing your information with us! Kev
Leisalu, Hi,I recognize your name from selling and maybe you recognise me too.Please keep me in mind for good insect powders like John Henry and Lyons as I know you get these occasionally! Let me know ,I'll make a very fair offer and maybe save you from having to list them. I had a guy who was actually in my club and asked him to shoot me prices on his Lyons or let me make an offer.This guy wouldn't hear of it thinking he'd get more on the bay. Turns out I would have paid twice what he got for his Lyons powder there. Maybe you'll keep me in mind,thanks,Kev

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1