Grapico

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dragon0421 ~

What is the date on your "Applied Color Label" teal green Grapico bottle? It looks very early!

Thanks,

SPB

wonkapete

Reaction score
Hey SPB, yea, I'm talking about the "Real South"! Interesting, so ya'll don't have grits up there??

Back to the invoice, I believe they were just selling the crowns (bottle caps). There are 144 bottle caps in one gross.

No, the bottles didn't cost that much back then. Just a couple weeks ago, I was interviewing some guys (for an upcoming article) that worked at the Dr Pepper Bottling plant in Georgiana, AL back in the 1940s. One of the guys told me the Dr Pepper bottles cost them $.07 back then and they only charged customers $.01 deposit on them. Needless to say, they lost a lot of money on bottles!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
wonkapete ~

Thanks. That makes a lot more cent$. We will never know the answer to this next "Not from the South" question, (It's a Southern California thing), but it would be interesting to know what the record is for the most times an individual bottle was recirculated? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the average was about four or five times, and that after about the fifth time they were so "case-worn", they just disposed of them.

Nope ... not too many grit eaters in Southern Cal that I know of. But it seems that many of us can't get through the day without eating at least one Avocado, (Also know as "The alligator pear"). Which is weird too, because we don't have alligators in California either. But I believe you do there in Alabama. Hmmm ... I think I need to start eating grits. Maybe then I will be able to answer my own dumb questions.

Thanks again,

AVOCADOBOB

Jody35150

Reaction score
Jerry,
I've been a bottle enthusiast for 40 years and have never seen Grapico bottles & ephmera like you've generated with this post. I feel now like I've led a sheltered life. I see we have new friend from California, AVOCADOBOB, lol. (The guy's a treasure trove of info!)
Your amber Grapico & Dragon0421's ACL made my day.
Jody

ORIGINAL: wonkapete

Hey Jody, here's that 1917 Grapico from Laurel, Mississippi I was telling you about.  I finally found it!

1160.jpg

wonkapete

Reaction score
Hey Jody, I'm happy to help you out! Here's a few more Grapico pieces I have sittin' around.

A 3 ft. sign:

076-2.jpg

Another sign:

080.jpg

A flange sign:

082-1.jpg

A syrup jug:

087.jpg

A very heavy cooler..

102_4766.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey ~

I heard my name mentioned (via an e-mail notify) and thought I'd stop by for a sip of that good'ol Grapico ... um , um good! Actually, I'm lying ... until the other day I never heard of it. And please, please, please nobody yell at me for this next part. But it's a true story, and you have to believe I wouldn't even mention it if it wasn't. But when I first saw the headline on the chat list, I mis-read it for a split second, and honest to goodness thought it said ... "Crapico" ... which caused be to take a second look, when I immediately realized my mistake. And the only reason I mention it now, is because I am currently a "True Believer" and jealous as all get out because I don't have a single Grapico item to call my own. But since "Y'All" have so many, maybe you could send me a little something ... and in exchange, I'll send you some avocados off my tree in the back yard. Sounds like a deal to me.

Thanks,

SPB ... a.k.a., "EARTH"QUACK"BOB"

celerycola

Reaction score
RE: Grapico trade offer for SodaPopBob

SPB,

I'll find you a nice Grapico item in exchange for something from a 1917 Los Angeles soda called Alfa-Celo.

Alfa-Celo was flavored with Celery and Alfalfa. That should have been real popular on the Left Coast and collectibles easy to find.

Dennis

#1twin

Reaction score
Hey Jerry, Now your talking a little closer to home for me, when you mentioned Hattiesburg. I'd like to find any version of that bottle since I don't have any. Thanks for showing them. Marvin

wonkapete

Reaction score
Hey Marvin, you should swing by after the show Saturday for a Coke and burger. We are having our daughter's 3rd birthday party outside. I'll have both of my garages open (which is rare occurence) and all the cars out. You might see some bottles!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
celerycola ~

I did a little "Antiquing" today, but didn't run across a single Alfa-Celo item. But I did see an old Grapico bottle opener. Although it was kinda rusty looking, and not worth the $65.00 they were asking for it, so I passed on it. I did come home with a couple of other goodies though, but nothing worth mentioning here. I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for ... um, did you say "celery and alfalfa?" Okay, but I'm not guaranteeing I will try it. Lol

Thanks,

SPB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747