Great Big Hole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
I had noticed a crane highlighting my urban vista the other day.

I always try and recon construction sites in the old parts of town. So often they are fenced securely now days. There is even the occasional security guard on steroids and/or Mad Dog. But not today.

There was even sun. For those of you in more temperate climes, you really can't appreciate the frozen mud slide syndrome. Maybe I can give a glimpse.

No guards, no chainlink, just the safety orange roll up plastic.

Hell, there was even a stairway...

DSC02412.jpg

It was thirty degrees up top in the wind. The bottom was maybe 33 and wet. Bottom was at least 25 feet below grade. There were pumps running and hoses stretched up top. I was late to the party. I'd missed the entire excavation to this point. They'd already laid a base of heavy stone.

DSC02415-1.jpg

I circumnavigated the top outside the fence, and climbed all over the adjacent dirt pile. It was real wet. We've had a major snow melt followed by days of rain. Ah, spring.

The dirtpile had been covered on one side by strewn hay. There were huge gouts of semi frozen mud and clay, not much in the way of visible shards, couple of slicks, one nice yellow ware shard. Sheesh! With so manny cubic yards of dirt removed you'd think there'd be more evidence of old debris.

I haven't checked the Sanborns yet to see what, if anything, was there. In the present day, it's an industrial no man's land. But it sure was a big hole and there had to be something in it, didn't there. I did a leg over the plastic, and this time circled the upper level from 6 to 10 feet below the rim. Some scattered evidence of shardage in spots. It was pretty tore up. They may have run the compactor around the upper rim. I was mountain goating on a slippery slope, trying to examine the dirt while trying to watch, and feel every step, so not to go ass over teakettle into the hole.

I finally grabbed the left hand rail of the stairs and attempted to walk down the wall. Holding on to the railing with one hand and using my potato rake as a ski pole, in the other. The last 8-10 feet was a barely controlled slide. Now I've got kinda worn but nevertheless lug soled Wellingtons for the mud. Might as well have been barefoot surfing.

I tried to walk back up the other side of the stairway. Made a lunge for the rail about six feet up and tried to drag walk my way up. No go. Now I was sliding down backwards.

DSC02422.jpg

That was fun, now where's the glass? I was trying to see the flash of glass in the mud. There was some standing water in the bottom. Washed the great mud coronas off the boots and turned to looking. The corners were wet and water was trickling down. The excavator had tamped down the walls pretty well with his bucket. This was a bit below the water table. It was hard to see evidence of ash with all the mud.

There were scattered shards.

DSC02420.jpg

At least, the age looked okay.

I clumped around some more. I was overwhelmed. There was a lot of dirt, and mud. I haven't had much of a commune with the dirt yet this "spring."

Finally,a familiar shape poked it's neck outta the muck.
DSC02421-1.jpg

I hope y'all realize how difficult it is for me to reach for the camera before reaching for the bottle. The things I do for the home audience. [8D]

Well, thank you Mr. McCulley!. A lovely piece of Pittsburgh glass it is. Or, at least I thought so, before I tried to clean it.

Now, my cleaning skills are definitely sub par, and this is gonna be a real challenge. It's got a major coating of black hard tar like stuff firmly crusted over half the inside, and a bit less on the outside. It's almost crystalline. I found myself, later that night, trying to scrape, chip it off the outside with a bamboo skewer. This has worked well for me in removing rust in the past. Not so now. It's soaking...

I'm gonna have to more closely read the Cleaning & Repairing pages.

I gotta go back there after it dries out a little. I was hesitant to do much scratching or any digging in the hole, less I tip my hand to the contractors. I was trespassing my ass off, again. I don't want them calling in the storm trooper security guard.

Thanks for driving by.

Annie_Oakley.jpg

glass man

Reaction score
COOL SURF MAN!I NEVER PASSED UP WHEN THEY DID CONSTUCTION ROUND HERE AND A FEW TIMES IT PAID OFF!HEY YOU NEVER KNOW!KEEP US INFORMED...JAMIE

madman

Reaction score
VERY NICE FIND! GREAT PIX ALSO LETS SEE IT WHEN YA GET IT CLEANED UP!

RedGinger

Reaction score
What area of the country are you in, Surface? We're having the same type of weather. Some days, it is so muddy, it's a struggle to fill the woodbox without slipping. Then, it freezes again! So, what is your bottle? Do post a pic, if you can, when it's cleaned up. Always fun to stop by construction sites and see what's there!

rockbot

Reaction score
Way to go surf. Boy that would have been easy to miss, so glad you find her. I can only imagine what they dug and pushed around.[:(]
How high up on the wall is that squat?

RedGinger

Reaction score
Good point, Steve. So many of the yards here were filled in, which makes it very hard at times to find the privy. Not impossible, though. One bonus is being able to find things virtually anywhere. But, if he/she can find out what they did with it, that's a good idea.

surfaceone

Reaction score
But, if he/she can find out what they did with it, that's a good idea.

Hey Lauren,

I'm virtually certain I'm a guy. I've checked with the bride and offspring. They confirmed it. [8D]

We're straddling similar lines of latitude, I believe, about a hundred & a half leagues apart, but my geography is kinda fuzzy.

I've got a line on a prospective dirt depository. Interestingly, the depository is very securely fenced with locked gates. I think I may know a way in, but it's gonna have to be a stealth reconnoiter. What the heck did I do with my hard hat & vest disguise?

25530-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-White-Character-Construction-Worker-Wearing-A-Hard-Hat-And-Vest-Standing-With-A-Pickaxe-And-Shovel.jpg

Rocky,

The little squat was about 4 feet from the bottom. It looked like it may have slid down from above, but who knows for sure. I'm just glad it was camouflaged in all that mud, so it didn't go home in a contractor's bucket...

oakley-768924.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2