Great Big Hole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
The condition of those seals are amazing. Glad you got to scratch a round a bit more. Is the job site idle?

randgrithr

Reaction score
Those are rockin' finds. I love the Bass seal!!!

You should get some serious gore tex hiking boots to deal with the mud. I cannot begin to tell you how my ability to climb up and down super steep hills and keep my socks dry has improved since my husband got me a pair of Asolo hiking boots for Yule. I call them my mountain goat booties. I can literally run up a hill that looks impossible to climb as if I was Spiderman, and they're completely water tight. Sierra Trading Post has them at a good price for both men and women.

Eileen

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: randgrithr

Those are rockin' finds. I love the Bass seal!!!

You should get some serious gore tex hiking boots to deal with the mud. I cannot begin to tell you how my ability to climb up and down super steep hills and keep my socks dry has improved since my husband got me a pair of Asolo hiking boots for Yule. I call them my mountain goat booties. I can literally run up a hill that looks impossible to climb as if I was Spiderman, and they're completely water tight. Sierra Trading Post has them at a good price for both men and women.

Eileen

Thanks, I could use some of those too. I don't even care what they look like. I'm slow as molasses, sometimes. I'll check them out, when I have some extra $.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. This is a fun spot, but a bit on the dangerous side for an old solo digger. It's the kinda place they'd find you monday morning with a broke leg, if you fell in.

The job is hot and they've been working overtime, so my access has been limited. They've had people on site near dusk on weekdays. I've had it all to myself on weekends. But you never know. As i was brushing mud off the Leicestershire Sauce a voice from above and behind me called out, "What are you doing down there?"

I about threw the Sauce over my shoulder, I was so startled. There was a young skateboarding guy standing up on the timber mats looking down at me. Why don't the odd passersby approach from a visible point and make some noise to announce themselves first? I shouted up that I was looking for "old stuff." He kinda shook his head and wandered off. Now I can appreciate skateboarding big time, but this dude completely broke my concentration. I hung up the old skate board when I turned 40. Would never have rolled up on an unknown boarder from behind and loud hailed him either. Kids today...

Hey Eileen, man, those Asolos look like the Manolo Blahniks of hiking boots. Wouldn't do me any good anyway, even if I wanted to run up the odd steep hill. I'm not much of a hiker. I'm partial to the plain old Wellington boot, if I can find some in a real store. I like em for the deep mud slog, occasional creek walk, or just for those thorn bushy type places, one sometimes encounters.

The mud I've been encountering is not quite in the Mekong Mud, retreat from Stalingrad category, but it's occasionally crested the tops of my old Wellies. I've had to pull foot outta boot, sit down in yucky stuff, and pull boot outta mud, pour gunk from boot more than once. I like that sensation of foot going too far down, and wondering if you can pull back in time to avoid that bootfull. We're talkin Mud! and no foolin.
414214512_9dccb7697a.jpg
Rocky's got the right idea on waders, but they'd make my butt look too big...[8D] and I don't do enough fishing.

Oh, yeah, where was I. I've been cutting some copper wire.
5619193667_bf2c5d8140.jpg
in preparation for doing the poor man's tumbler shake, in an attempt to clean up this stuff.

Back to the mud.
5619801302_5599a03ef7_z.jpg
Been scouting another place and it's got vertical hillside mud and these odd looking sunken mud pits.
5622689348_a7172c1167_z.jpg
I'm not going in these. Kinda smelly and industrial sludge looking. This spot seems like an abandoned rail site in part.
5619218137_138fb85d5f.jpg
It's another big space and i've got a lot of exploring to do.

Sorry for the disjointed unrelated muddy travelogue. Thanks for looking in.

bougainville-mud.jpg

mr.fred

Reaction score
Been there done that last picture[8|]-----Tread carefully my friend[;)]-----looks mighty deep[:(]----might want to tie a 2x4 to your waist[sm=lol.gif][sm=tongue.gif].

toddrandolph

Reaction score
You are lucky to get in those construction sites. They have recently torn up some of the oldest parts of a town near here. I could see the glass reflecting in the sun in the dirt piles, but the sites are all well fenced and posted as are all construction sites around here and very visible from multiple roads, as well as the local police station. It's a shame because these areas go back to the 1820s probably and I have no doubt they unearthed some good stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2