Grip medicine w/box label and stamp

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
Hey Joel, Shouldn't you let the younger diggers know what the grip is???

It's what happens if you get some bad mushrooms.

[:mad:][8|][:-][:eek:][:'(][;)][:D]

You guys crack me up.
Joel

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep, High speed trip with the grip to the pit to take a screaming sh........Ah........Um........well you know the rest!!!!! [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

epgorge

Reaction score
Hey Neil, Welcome! The grip is old American verbiage for anything similar to a cold. The old timers didn't know what they had contracted so they called it the Grip. I suppose it comes from the expression, "somethings got a grip on me". So grip in Pordageeze means cold, literally?
Ep

margratton

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epgorge

Description: Made by Dana S. Carpenter, Apothecary – Middletown Springs, Vermont.
Nice museum quality piece with original box, pamphlet and pill packet. Bottle has complete label and contents and is embossed. Box is in good condition, the top flap has come detached. The box also has IRS 5/8 cent Stamp.
Embossed: TAKE CARPENTER’S / GRIP SYRUP / AND STOP THAT COUGH
Height: 6.25â€
Color: Aqua
Condition: Excellent

Price:
Item No. 122

EC0E936E3D444F4DB87D3DF6DC62C9A5.jpg

saratogadriver

Reaction score
epgorge, you collect VT bottles? Anything in particular, any area in particular? My Mom has a fairly extensive collection, mostly cures, but plenty of apothocaries etc as well. Not too many VT bottle collectors, but a couple on the forum here.

Jim G

epgorge

Reaction score
Yes, Jim, I too have the bug for beautiful and hand made glass. I do buy Vermont medicine and I have a pretty good start on Vermont pharmacy bottles. Most towns had one. Duane Chase has the most impressive I have seen to date. He and I both collect what we don't have. His list is getting shorter and shorter while mine has miles to go.

Contact me sometime and let me know what ma has kicking around.

Joel

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I'll have to send you a pic of the middletown unembossed label that I have. It's NOT a saratoga type embossed, but rather one of those green, turn mold unembossed bottles. The label is completely different also from the one's I've seen, with "Montvert" water or some such thing, and an image of the hotel. The Middletown historical society has borrowed it before, they don't have one.

I'll try to remember to send you a couple of pics when I get a chance. I have all the mineral waters, Mom ran out of room. I have one big shelf where they, and some of my bigger inks reside.

Jim G

JustGlass

Reaction score
I live just a few miles from Middletown and until now I thought the only bottle from there was the Green and Amber healing springs bottle. Thanks for showing it. I will keep my eyes open for one. Is it embossed Middletown Vt.?

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH