ground penetrating radar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

THE BADGER

Reaction score
whats up dave,badger here.the guy I was talking about is named Thomas but cant remember last name.he went under the name mr. detector he from what I believe invented some of these radar machines and was called upon to use them at the 9/11 disaster so they must work.he is from south Williamsport,pa. and the last phone number I had for him was (570)326-5622 or email mrdetector@hotmail.com.thats all I remember on the guy.let me know how you make out. badger

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: MINNESOTA DIGGER

ORIGINAL: David Fertig

Gunther - do you know anything personally about them?

I would never consider buying one without the dealer proving that it can do what I want it to - which is locate privies.

As to making my money back - bottle digging is a risky adventure. If I spent the time working that I have searching, I would do better to work and then buy the bottles I like - which I do do also.

If I can save wear and tear on my body and speed up the process, that is what I am after. I just cannot probe like I used to. And I also do not have as much time as I used to.
i would like to buy one as wll however i need to know it will work

I will find pits for you for 20k, as many as you want [:D]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
They work, will show up all ground irregularities, the problem is you about have to be a PHD in using one of them too interpret the different chart readouts they give, a rusty pit will give a different readout-pic than a nonrusty one, and the pit shapes will cause different readings also. the ground that the pit in also has to be taken into consideration. I have watched a contractor here in Sacramento use one for finding underground lines and pipes-wires conduits before he digs. they are to cool and actually are fun to run, but it takes a long time to really know what the darn things are showing. You do know if it was easy diggers would have done more of it........and they are expensive the detector that I was watching cost about 30 k, but it was a Cadillac model. the guy who I know who ran it said that the more expensive models are easier to use.....

maxbitters

Reaction score
I’ve personally used GPR for locating pits and can say with absolute certainty that they do work and quite effectively. We’ve scanned several areas for pits in asphalt, concrete and dirt, some of the ones we found lite up like a Christmas tree, others not. Cost on these things though is prohibitive. Don’t confuse the lessor expensive magnetometer with GPR because their different and not nearly as effective. A good magnetometer can run 10-15k and a decent GPR 30-50k.

David Fertig

Reaction score
Now I'm getting somewhere!

Badger - I'll see if I can track him down.

There are a couple guys out west that use one called a Runabout from Accurate Locators. Cost for the base model is about $10K.

Here's the deal:

Yes - I know they are expensive. $10K I could see. $20-30 no.

Fat Head used one on his TV show. Yes - it is a show, but my take on the show was that the writers researched what the most high tech items were that people use to find what ever that episode was about. So my take is that they - the show's writers - found someone who is using these to find privies.

I am very busy at this point in my life. 6 kids aged from 2 to 14. We raise 70,000 turkeys a year. I salvage at least 12 pre-1880's buildings a year. And my wife works part time. Recreational time is at a premium.

Some of my kids enjoy bottles and digging. Recreational time is at a premium.

I have a medical condition that makes my joints hurt. Some times worse then others. I don't complain about it. And it's not bad in the whole scheme of life, but I just cannot run the probe like I used to.

I know there is no Majik Privy Locator out there. And I know that anything electronic takes time to learn how to use. And I will absolutely not buy anything without a test drive.

So.... yes. I am seriously looking into this.

Max - can you provide details of the one(s) you have used?

Andy - I assume that a machine and an operator can be hired. I've thought about this angle also. I can usually line up a number of yards within a reasonable distance. In the past, I seriously considered buying a Woodmizer band saw for my salvage business. But at this point in my life and with all things considered, I have someone else saw for me. Doesn't mean that I might not buy one in the future, though. Same with this. I would probably hire someone to check out a dozen yards or so. With the time I have right now, that would keep me busy for awhile. If I get to the point where I have more "free time" then I might consider buying one. As I said, $10K could be do-able. $20-30 no. At least right now. But, I could also see it as being an income producer for me. Being self employed, I have options. Obviously others are making money locating underground items - pipes, electric, etc. So it is possible that I could justify buying one at some point.

Rick - can I rent to own? $20K for my own personal privy finder! Would I have to buy the coffee in to morning or would you provide it? And you know that the back yards up my way are bigger then most of the ones you are used to.

Thanks all!
Dave

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I would explore equipment rental companies. You might be better off renting a really good one for the day rather than buying a cheap one.
I have found this to be true with a lot of high cost equipment.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: David Fertig

Now I'm getting somewhere!

Badger - I'll see if I can track him down.

There are a couple guys out west that use one called a Runabout from Accurate Locators. Cost for the base model is about $10K.

Here's the deal:

Yes - I know they are expensive. $10K I could see. $20-30 no.

Fat Head used one on his TV show. Yes - it is a show, but my take on the show was that the writers researched what the most high tech items were that people use to find what ever that episode was about. So my take is that they - the show's writers - found someone who is using these to find privies.

I am very busy at this point in my life. 6 kids aged from 2 to 14. We raise 70,000 turkeys a year. I salvage at least 12 pre-1880's buildings a year. And my wife works part time. Recreational time is at a premium.

Some of my kids enjoy bottles and digging. Recreational time is at a premium.

I have a medical condition that makes my joints hurt. Some times worse then others. I don't complain about it. And it's not bad in the whole scheme of life, but I just cannot run the probe like I used to.

I know there is no Majik Privy Locator out there. And I know that anything electronic takes time to learn how to use. And I will absolutely not buy anything without a test drive.

So.... yes. I am seriously looking into this.

Max - can you provide details of the one(s) you have used?

Andy - I assume that a machine and an operator can be hired. I've thought about this angle also. I can usually line up a number of yards within a reasonable distance. In the past, I seriously considered buying a Woodmizer band saw for my salvage business. But at this point in my life and with all things considered, I have someone else saw for me. Doesn't mean that I might not buy one in the future, though. Same with this. I would probably hire someone to check out a dozen yards or so. With the time I have right now, that would keep me busy for awhile. If I get to the point where I have more "free time" then I might consider buying one. As I said, $10K could be do-able. $20-30 no. At least right now. But, I could also see it as being an income producer for me. Being self employed, I have options. Obviously others are making money locating underground items - pipes, electric, etc. So it is possible that I could justify buying one at some point.

Rick - can I rent to own? $20K for my own personal privy finder! Would I have to buy the coffee in to morning or would you provide it? And you know that the back yards up my way are bigger then most of the ones you are used to.

Thanks all!
Dave

LOL I just saw this thread

Hell Dave I'll do it for 5k and I'll get my own coffee [8D] Ask Badger about the time I found the pit on his mothers farm. Talk about big yards. You just have to narrow it down[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn