Has anyone seen one of these?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Roy

Reaction score
I have a clear half pint flask that I have been trying to find any information on.
So far I haven't found anything.
I didn't expect it to be rare. Maybe someone else has one or can help me find any information on it.
Embossing reads,
1/2 PINT
FULL MEASURE
WM KEUTHEN
582 THIRD AVE
NEW YORK

Thanks, Roy

Attachments

• 20221014_110901.jpg
    20221014_110901.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20221014_111118.jpg
    20221014_111118.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20221014_110922.jpg
    20221014_110922.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 107

willong

Reaction score
I can't offer any insight on that particular bottle--I not even sure if it is considered a coffin flask, or some other style--but I can say: Nice flask Roy!

I watched the latest video uploaded to YouTube by "Below the Plains" today. Tom and Jake have dug about 1500 pits (mostly in the Dakotas). In today's video Tom uncovered an embossed shoo-fly flask and stated that it was the first embossed shoo-fly that he'd ever recovered.

The find and Tom's comment prompted me to post a comment to the video that read in part: "Don't know why, because custom molds were always more expensive and often more elaborate, but I've always especially liked slug plate embossed bottles, though I've never dug a shoo-fly or pumpkin seed flask that featured one. Since Tom has dug so many more sites, hearing him say that was the first embossed shoo-fly he'd ever dug lessens my disappointment in coming up empty in that regards."

Below the Plains replied: "haha yeah.. we've dug like 1500 pits and thats the only one... it was from chicago tho. from a hotel in chicago.. i think they were just more rare around here. im sure there more common east of the mississippi.. everything up here was settled so late..."

Some really nice embossed western whiskey flasks exist, though I believe the majority of them originate from the gold rush era, which is a bit early for someone digging in western Washington logging camps. I have seen several photos of embossed flasks posted on Antique-Bottles.net, and I am curious how common or scarce, relatively speaking, the members here consider them to be in the regions they dig.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Some really nice embossed western whiskey flasks exist, though I believe the majority of them originate from the gold rush era, which is a bit early for someone digging in western Washington logging camps. I have seen several photos of embossed flasks posted on Antique-Bottles.net, and I am curious how common or scarce, relatively speaking, the members here consider them to be in the regions they dig.
They're very rare here in Canada, at least in the Ontario/Quebec area. I don't think I've ever seen a slug plate flask from Canada, and can only think of a small handful of BIM embossed flasks from Canada at all - one each from B.C., Ontario, and Quebec. I'm sure there are more out there, but they make up a tiny minority of flasks found. For some reason Canada didn't get a lot of embossed alcoholic beverage bottles in general in the BIM era. Even embossed beers are relatively unusual outside of B.C.

willong

Reaction score
They're very rare here in Canada, at least in the Ontario/Quebec area. I don't think I've ever seen a slug plate flask from Canada, and can only think of a small handful of BIM embossed flasks from Canada at all - one each from B.C., Ontario, and Quebec. I'm sure there are more out there, but they make up a tiny minority of flasks found. For some reason Canada didn't get a lot of embossed alcoholic beverage bottles in general in the BIM era. Even embossed beers are relatively unusual outside of B.C.
Thanks for the informative response!

Reactions: Roy

willong

Reaction score
I think you'll enjoy the article, with many photos, of embossed western flasks found at: https://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/CollectingWesternFlasks.pdf

Reactions: Roy

Roy

Reaction score
I see him in the New York Directory from 1902-1912. LEON.

View attachment 240724
Thanks LEON,
I don't seem to be able to find much information on the American Wine & Liquor Company but it is a start and I will keep searching.
Looking like he was not in business for very long. Roy

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Roy,
A quick check with ancestry.com found little -- just his 1910 census record and his widowed wife's 1920 census record -- copies are attached.
From the 1910 census: he was 52, married for 18 years to Margaret (50), his and her first marriages, no children, both born in Germany. He immigrated in 1875, was naturalized, occupation: distiller, liquor store, employer. There is a death index record, likely for him, date of death 27 Feb 1918 - thus about 60 years old. His wife Margaret appears as a widow in the 1920 census, with a niece of hers. Her maiden name was Hausmann, from a short death notice -- she died May 10, 1930**.
That's about it on a quick look -- it should be possible to locate a marriage, about 1891-92, and to find the couple in the 1900 census - would be interesting to know whether he was distilling then -- also, to find them both, single, in the 1880 census, and with any luck immigration and naturalization records.
Also, he left a will, proved July 16, 1918, New York, New York, book 1068, page 295 - that's the index data, I have not located the actual text of the will.
Keuthen, Wm, 1910 census.jpg
Keuthen, Margaret, 1920 census.jpg

I'll poke around a bit more tomorrow.
Nice bottle.
**Death of a Margaret Keuthen reported in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle -- not definitely Wm's widow, but likely -- no other Margaret Keuthens to be found, and noted be survived by sisters and brothers - no children. Needs to be confirmed that this was Wm's wife.
1665901633749.png

Roy

Reaction score
Roy,
A quick check with ancestry.com found little -- just his 1910 census record and his widowed wife's 1920 census record -- copies are attached.
From the 1910 census: he was 52, married for 18 years to Margaret (50), his and her first marriages, no children, both born in Germany. He immigrated in 1875, was naturalized, occupation: distiller, liquor store, employer. There is a death index record, likely for him, date of death 27 Feb 1918 - thus about 60 years old. His wife Margaret appears as a widow in the 1920 census, with a niece of hers. Her maiden name was Hausmann, from a short death notice -- she died May 10, 1930**.
That's about it on a quick look -- it should be possible to locate a marriage, about 1891-92, and to find the couple in the 1900 census - would be interesting to know whether he was distilling then -- also, to find them both, single, in the 1880 census, and with any luck immigration and naturalization records.
Also, he left a will, proved July 16, 1918, New York, New York, book 1068, page 295 - that's the index data, I have not located the actual text of the will.View attachment 240751View attachment 240752
I'll poke around a bit more tomorrow.
Nice bottle.
**Death of a Margaret Keuthen reported in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle -- not definitely Wm's widow, but likely -- no other Margaret Keuthens to be found, and noted be survived by sisters and brothers - no children. Needs to be confirmed that this was Wm's wife.
View attachment 240753
Thank you so much 5 gallon collector.
I am amazed you could find out so much information on him just from a name and address on an old bottle. I'm always amazed at the amount of detective skills people on this forum possess.
I mostly focus on the bottle and offen completely forget these bottles many times represent someone's whole life's work. These records open my eyes to the fact that William Keuthen was a real person who immigrated to this country to make a better life and not just a name on a old bottle.
Thank you for all your hard work.
Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese