hassled by police again

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggincajun

Reaction score
Hello all, Went out Wednesday to a spot I saw the day before and probed, I finally hit glass and was digging my test hole and just pulled out a nice 1880, Jacksonville, Medical bottle and the hair stood on the back of my neck. Then I hear Sir what are you doing and I turn and there they were two cops. They told me I had to fill in the hole, but get this I had to put the bottle back in the hole. Makes me wonder if they aren't diggers also, I'll check it out Today if it was dug. But the property was up for sale by a commercial builder and I tried my best to convince them I was breaking no laws, I lose the arguement. Darn it just frustrates me when this happens and it shouldn't. Well good luck to all digging out there.
Kim James
diggincajun

epgorge

Reaction score
Hey James,
Try to find out who the commercial builder is. Try the police report. Then call him and ask permission. Tell him you will donate something to the local museum in his name. You never know. The worst he can say is no.
Joel

citydigger

Reaction score
I would have gone back and re-dug just to get that bottle they made you throw back...go back and dig it at night. I have had to do that on several occasions.

frank

Reaction score
Do night digg all the bottle's will gone soon .. Once the put a house that site or wendy's will gone forever .!!!

diggincajun

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought about a nite dig, area is not the best place to be at night. It's a commercial lot, being sold by a commercial realiter. No posted signs, no keep out signs open all around, right next to the highway. From what I know of the law I'm not tresspassing, I've been approached before by policeman and they just wanted to know what I was digging and once they learned what I was doing they just left me alone and told me to make sure I fill it in when done. I'm going there tommorow and check it out again and I'll try and call the realitor on this one. Thanks for the input.
Kim James
diggincajun

JGUIS

Reaction score
If you don't own it or have written permission, you are trespassing. If they would have let you keep the bottle, and the landowner wanted to press charges, they would have been letting you commit a theft. This is all legal crap that I don't agree with, but real just the same. Basically, if you went on a property without permission, and dug a thousand dollar bottle, and got caught getting in your car at the end of the dig by the owner, he could get you for criminal trespassing, destruction of property, and grand theft. (If he was a real prick anyway) Now that you've been run off by the fuzz once, returning and getting caught by the same ones almost guarantees a cuff and stuff. Go back at night, at least 8 hours later than when you got caught the first time. Shift change. If it's company owned, don't waste your time unless you have an in with them. Most companies are liability freaks, and are extremely hard permissions.

diggincajun

Reaction score
Perhaps you are right that I was trespassing. Let me try and draw a picture of the area. It's a part of town that is out of the way from the busy humbug of the city. It's on a side street barely used by traffic. Not a nice place to be at night. This is what I believe to the situation. We have a well know Judge here in town that collects bottles and metal detecting, him and I have had several run in's on area's. He has lied to me about having permission from construction sites before. He know alot of cops and probably have them looking for guys like me and finding areas to dig that way. I willing to bet this is what happen here. He actually made front page of paper for his collection of civil war stuff and local bottles he dug, so I really believe the bottles will be gone today, Saturday, when he has his day off from court. I'll run out there and see if him and his gang are there....most likely I'll run into him.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Kim James
diggincajun

California Dream N

Reaction score
diggincajun...JGUIS is right if you don't own it or have permission you are trespassing. My hubby and I post and patrol alot of hunting land in California and have went to court over this same issue many times. And the court has always sided with us and with the land owner.( At least in our cases it has been 100% ).. It seems a crappy thing over digging a little history but it is the law. I personally wouldn't take the chance of getting caught again!!..Norene

GuntherHess

Reaction score
wow, competing agaist the digging judge[:D] That's some tough competition. If you beat him to a dump he can hold you in contempt[:D][:D] All the judges I know just play golf

diggincajun

Reaction score
Hi all, Yea I know the law and I was breaking the law, my whole point is this, if you could see the area, you would know what I'm talking about. Believe me that property will be up for sale for a long time, noone will buy in that area. As for the Judge, ya he does have some pull and knows alot of people, but let me finish now, I did contact the relator of the property and they told me they would contact the owner and let me know as soon as they here something. So I asked them if anyone else is on there digging I should , call the law...right? So if I see anyone elso on there, i'll just make a call from my cell and watch from a distance to see the reaction the police give to this area. It's really no big deal I got run off and it will not be the last, I thought it's a good subject matter to discuss, especially to the new diggers out there and let them know what they are up against and it's not just go dig where you please situation and you do have to contend with others whom may have more power than you do. I don't think this Judge golfs unless it during the week, because on the weekend you will find him and his crew out and about in the inner city area's. NO BIG DEAL really, i'll wait and see what land owner says, but keep one eye open :). Happy digging everyone.
Kim James
diggincajun

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter