Haywards military pickle jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Al66

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any info on this type of jar. I have one handed down from my father which dug up over37 years ago and I have just noticed it has a strange code on the base of the jar. It has the numbers 261 but with a swastika in the centre. It is approx 18cm high. I have read a few comments regarding this bottle but they all mention the initials of the company on the base.
I can provide a picture if requested.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Alastair,

Welcome to the Blue Pages, and, yes, consider yourself requested. We were just speaking of Hayward's: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Civil-War-erra-bottles-quewtion%25/m-615366/tm.htm

Im193412GHK-Haywards2.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome.
Being a British product it, for obvious reasons, should date before 1939.
Pictures would be nice.

Al66

Reaction score
Hi Eric, I will attach a photo of the base to show you. Do you know anything about this on these jars and what it meant?
Thanks.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Not much but I'm just thinking about the base mark. Is the shoulder embossed in English? Maybe is was a post WWI relief effort?
While the swastika has been around for thousands of years that is the direction typically associated with the NAZI party. I'd guess it was an exported to Germany pickle from the 1920 to no later than 1939. For the most part the swastika was abandoned after the war do to it's connection with the NAZI era.
In Germany it was used back in the 1800's but generally in the other direction. WWI would have disrupted export for that time also.
Anyway, I can't think of a glass maker that would use it other than post WWI and pre 1939 so I'd say German from that period.
Hayward I'm having trouble with for a time line but they are still in production. They make picked food products and prided themselves on making there own vinegar for the process.
Where are you from?
I hope you don't mind my speculation.
Can you post the whole jar?

Al66

Reaction score
No not at all, just seems a strange symbol to have on a jar of pickle. The writing is all English but I have attached more pics.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Al66

No not at all, just seems a strange symbol to have on a jar of pickle. The writing is all English but I have attached more pics.
Perth makes a bit more sense for the jar.
I have no idea if the symbol was used that way by the British or Australians but it was the other way by almost everyone. Unless it was a mold error reversing it I still doubt it was used post 1939.
Maybe TROG knows of it.
PS; it wouldn't make a difference politically to me where you were from, history is history.

Conspiracy theory: Carried out after the war by escaping Germans on their way to Argentina or settled in Australia.
Pickles do keep well.[:D][:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem