Heal Tap and Venting in Med Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
This was a review of information for one of the ABM-FORUM people, that I thought might interest others. I have never got into Medical bottles a lot, but I have been exposed to a lot of the bottlemakers problems trying to make the rectangular type of med bottles - and my experiences were in the era of ABM's.

One problem that has plagued the world of making bottles is gravity, It is a force that requires concentrated counting experience on the part of the bottle maker. The most important knowledge of a bottlemaker, is knowing how to shape [the mold ready shape] of his formed [parison]. The parison shape is what determines the thickness of the glass when it is blown into the final mold for the bottle. In the case of making the rectangular meds, it is more important than it is for a plain round or square bottle form. There has to be enough glass in the wide sides of the parison glass, so it will blow out into the wider form of a med bottle. If it isn't right, the shoulders will be thin and even subject to a tapped breakage if there isn't enough glass there.

Now the next thing they have to consider and count are the seconds the parison is hanging in the closed final mold; before the make the final blow. Realize that the glass at this point is still in a very liquefied-viscous condition; so gravity is pulling it down after it gets in the mold. Maybe 5 or 6 seconds!! And this will vary from one type of bottle to another.

The important factor is having enough glass in the parison to fill out the shoulders of a bottle and enough glass to fill in the bottom corners of a rectangular med bottle. Both of these areas need to have enough glass to make a good bottle.

One must realize that the bottom of a bottle is usually the weakest part of a bottle, anyway. In your bottle the glass fill-out in the bottom corners is acceptable; but if the glass on those four corners was thin - just a light tap would cause a handling breakage. Likewise a thin shoulder corner can also be broken easily.

Another difficulty in rectangular bottles with sunken panels on all four sides is a tough bottle to blow in a mold when there are embossed letters in those sunken panels. "3-in One oil" and a lot of meds have trouble getting the air out of the space between the sunken panels and the mold cavity wall. This problem has to be helped with drilled vent holes to the back outside of the mold. The problem in early med was exacerbated by the fact that number 70 twist steel drills were not readily available - if at all.

This is a good time to point out that a Mr. Kelly of Eighty Four Pensulvania; developed a two headed horizontal drilling machine that drilled two holes facing each other. With depth control, one drill head could make a 1/8th inch hole within about 3/l6th of an inch of the cavity wall and then the mating spindle could drill a small hole into the center of the back up hole. These machines were an automatic need in almost every mold shop.

Information for bottle people that are curious. I will appreciate your comments and/or questions. RED Matthews

LC

Reaction score
I never knew there were so many factors that had to be taken in in order to blow a bottle Red . I thought glass was just injected into the mold and PUFF , a bottle is made . Thanks for the interesting topic on the different facets involved in the making of the bottle . I found this information very interesting .

swizzle

Reaction score
I guess this is the reason we find the 1800's glass so cool. There was just so many factors that made the bottle crude. There must have been a large learning curve just to get into the bottle blowing business before the ABM. So this must be why we find so many bottles with weak embossing. One thing I've always wondered about is how the snap case mold works. (I think that's what its called). Do you have any pics and info on that process? Swiz

RED Matthews

Reaction score
RE: Snap Case Mold Systems

Hi swizzle and the rest of you: I have collected pictures of just about every type of mold and mold closing mechanism there are. I even have a friend in the Netherlands that went to a museum in Belgium, where he got out units of mechanized Case Gin Molds and took pictures of them for me. After fifteen + years of reading and study, as well as asking specific people that used the term - I still have not got a good answer.

The only snap case know of are the ones that took hold of the bottle for the application of glass to the top finish of blown bottles, without the use of a method or a tool for empontilling the hot glass piece. There are many types of snap cases for many types of bottles. There was even one for gripping the SARATOGA Mineral Water bottles, that held the bottles on the shoulders. Many of the snap cases were designed to locate on the center vent dot on the bottom of bottles for centering control of the held object.

I do not accept the concept of a mold mechanism operation as a Snap Case Mold System until I find proof of one existing. Any help will be appreciated by a lot of people. Even the Key Molds needed a Mold Boy to operate them.
RED Matthews

blobbottlebob

Reaction score

Interesting Red.

I have definitely found bottles where the bottom corners or shoulders were too thin and broke through. When they are whole like that, they are neat - but more often than not, they are criers.

Was the temperature of the parisan crucial to this process? You say that the bottles had to be held for 5 or 6 seconds in the mold. Does the temperature of the mold itself help the parisan harden? It would seem that the viscous nature of the molten glass would make almost every mold formed bottle thicker at the bottom because the parisan would run down until hardening?

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Well blobbottlebob; Yes the temperature of the whole process of making a bottle is critical in every stage of the function. The removal of heat in each stage of forming has to be at the right value to let the next function work correctly. It is a Controlled Process of Heat Removal that affects the appearance of the final product. This is even true on the modern double ten quad gob machines that turn out hundreds of bottles per minute. This could be a TMI long dissertation; if I let myself get really into it. During my 15 years with Thatcher Glass, I did studies of every component of mold equipment on the glass machines. These studies included several different types of metals, bimetallic inlays, electroformed sandwiched different metals, gray iron, chilled gray iron, nodular iron, semi-steels, brass, bronze, nickel alloys of several compositions, 51-C Binney iron, and of course the Binney DV metal. Several Stainless Steels etc, etc.! Every change would make a difference in the set quality of the glass product surface qualities. Also, part of my studies were also centered on the durable functions of the mold seam life in each of the different components of mold equipment. I guess it is a true experience of an Applications Engineer. And it was centered on the idea of problem solving by what you applied to make the products better. It is exciting to me to pick up a new bottle and realize how far the industry has advanced. A wonderful example was sent to me recently. It was a new drinking water bottle for people that don’t want melamine poisoning from plastic water bottles. It is a glass water bottle made by the Saint-Gobain Container Company. It has a printed label for H2O with the 2 set lower that it is here. (I didn’t want to take the time to look up how to lower the 2). And a marker below for Glass Recycles. The whole bottle is a work of art and should sell by the skidilions!! On the back is printed: www.sgcontainers.com
NATURAL SPRING WATER
BOTTTLED AT THE SOURCE
ENGLISH MOUNTAIN, DANBRIDGE, TN.
Decorated by: Chatanooga Labeling Systems, Inc

It just is the greatest bottle I have ever seen and it should help save lives. RED M.

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Well BlobBottleBob I guess I should concentrate on your second paragraph. “Was the temperature of the parisan crucial to this process? You say that the bottles had to be held for 5 or 6 seconds in the mold. Does the temperature of the mold itself help the parisan harden? It would seem that the viscous nature of the molten glass would make almost every mold formed bottle thicker at the bottom because the parisan would run down until hardening? “ Yes the hanging parison does help heat up the mold surface, which helps the glass blow tighter to the mold wall in the final blow. The number of seconds waited stretches the parison and this stretch is critical to having good shoulders and a good base zone in the bottle. I am sure the loss of that heat slows the drop of the parison from the surface cooling. RED M.

swizzle

Reaction score

Wow hundreds of bottles every minute?!? Dang how many bottles could a worker make in a day back during the pontil era? Swiz

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Well swizzle, I have seen some figures from the shops making SARATOGA M/W Btls. Where a shop would have to make a dozen bottles an hour, but I haven't seen very many quantities verified. I am sure that Steve/Sewell would no doubt have some production figures from his old paper records. It is an interesting thought. RED M.

swizzle

Reaction score

That's why collecting older bottles is so sweet. There's just not 90 million of your favorite bottle out there so each one is that much more special. Swiz

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn