Heartbreaking find from about a month ago.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well, I had been rooting around for a while in a new TOC dump that I had discovered, which allowed the forces of nature to clear away the dirt and detritus which i had left to clog the creek adjacent to my primary digging site. It has been treating me well since may of 2007, but after hundreds of digs there I am running out of productive refuse layers to exploit. There are a few zones I know of that are very rich and untapped, as I reburied them in my hasty chase of the more easily dug higher layers back in 2007, so there are still plenty of things left to be found. Under 6-7 feet of backfill....

I had engaged in a little bit of passive hydrological engineering, if you will, via damming up certain parts of the creek to help me "dig" and to remove the tailings from my excavations. When i checked the site about a month ago, I found a bottle that had been exposed most fortuitously by the waters from a deep layer, but much to my displeasure it had been broken at the time of its deposition. Thankfully the actions of the creek are not to blame, as I would be kicking myself for quite a long while if i could have prevented the damage.

It is a quart size, slugplate Peoria Coca-Cola soda. There is the regular size also in slug plate, but I have not found a sliver of evidence of it in any dumpsite, as it is extraordinarly hard to find regardless of my experience. The quart size is even more rare, and I am not certain that any complete ones are known, though if they are I will need to get some measurements!

9221_920760720990_1937295_52474532_6253059_n.jpg

9221_920760725980_1937295_52474533_2114301_n.jpg

In order to put the rarity of this find in perspective, I show 4 other, normal sized SS Peoria cokes. In the picture below, the bottles on the left and right are early machine made bottles, worth 40-50 dollars. I have dug 2 and bought another for 20 bucks. I don't dig 1920s stuff as regularly as the TOC- early teens so i haven't dug as many. In the middle is a rather rare base embossed coke, one of which just sold on ebay today for 228.00. I have dug one complete one and 2 with the top missing, and no others except shards. In the above picture, the bottle on the left is the most common of the blown cokes, I have dug a 6-pack of them in good shape and the ones without significant cosmetic issues sell for over 110 bucks. I've found over a dozen broken ones. The bottle on the right in the above pictures is the only one of its style I have found, complete or fragmentary (thankfully it is pretty minty) and other club members have verified that it is a very tough one. I would imagine that it is a decent bit more valuable than the one that just sold for 228.00. More attractive too.

9221_920760765900_1937295_52474538_3042530_n.jpg

Which brings us to the quart coke. I have never seen any slugplate Peoria cokes before now in any form, fragmentary or complete, and a collector friend has been looking for one, of either size, for over 30 years. Probably decently hard to get, I'd wager, relative to the ones I currently have. Such a shame that it has to mock me like this, in its crack-free almost-completeness. [&o]

9221_920760750930_1937295_52474536_4788860_n.jpg

Good candidate for restoration/retopping, eh? I'm thinking about taking my father's lapidary grinder to it (more like take it to the grinder) using a 600 grit disc and a custom frame to hold the bugger. It would be slow but probably well worth it. Any suggestions?

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
nice find even though its broke!! in your top pic, i have the 2 smaller ones. the one on the right i just got this weekend.

oh, by the way, ANSWER YOUR PHONE!!!!!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice man, you dig it in a p-town privy? Good score in my book! I know Jim was looking for one of those bad boys.

Gunna get some pictures up so I can start drooling over the finds that actually have some good age? Make me jealous, I dare ya! [:)]

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
NAH, BOUGHT IT. THINK IT COST 5 OR 10 BUCKS. DIDNT KNOW IT WAS A GOOD BOTTLE. IT HAS A SLIGHT FISHEYE ON ONE SIDE.

I'D LOVE TO GET SOME PICS UP IF MY CAMERA WASNT SCREWED. GOING OUT THIS WEEKEND AND BUYING A CHEAPIE. WILL HAVE SOME PICS UP THIS WEEKEND. GOT A TON OF STUFF TO POST.

OH AND BY THE WAY, ANSWER YOUR PHONE!!!!!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I'd say any qt. embossed Coca-cola is rare and to the right person I am sure worthy of a repair. Years ago, in an otherwise worthless newer privy I dug a qt. sized Terre Haute, Indiana slugplate Coke with Coca-Cola in script, and took it to their local show the next day.It was a very earyl, ca. 1905 bottle made at the local ROOT factory. I'd been happy to take $500 for it, even though it was one of a kind, but no one tried to make an offer. I listed it and bidding started slow, It had a bubble with an issue on the neck and I ended up pulling it from ebay and selling it privately like a fool.. After pulling it, I had offers come in for $3-$4000. No telling how high it would have sold for.I now have a standing offer for $5000 if I were ever to dig another damage free example. Oh well, live and learn. Of course Coca-Cola being in script is what drives the value, regardless a block lettered example like yours is sure to have some decent value..From what I gather, other than that one, Rochester N.Y. has a qt.( don't know if it is a script) but I don't know of others.. There are some great Illinois SS's that bring stupid money if you can find them. Pana Illiniois comes to mind, I know those sell in the thousands for both amber and aqua and there are some cities that are even more rare.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26