Heinz standard quality pepper sauce bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
# 32 on the bottom. its just tooled not applied

The part that threw me it says HEINZ'S not just HEINZ.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
That link you posted is identical. Its nice to see its from 1883 ish as that is quite early compared to most Heinz Ive seen.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't think the # will give you any kind of precise date, the Heinz numbers would be in the 10's of thousands if that were the case.
With that one they obviously used a Lee & Perrins, Holbrook or one of the many other Worcestershire sauce bottles from abroad as an inspiration and it may have been continued well into the 1900's until they decided to go with a different form.
I think a typical des pat is good for 14 years but it can be reapplied for and kept with an additional fee. In most companies they will choose to recreate a new one rather than keep the old but sometimes it's an "if it works, don't fix it" thing.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
the design number can at least tell you how early the bottle can be and in many instances it can be pretty precise if the product wasnt used for many years. Its all just parts of the puzzle, sometimes useful , sometimes not so useful.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's true Matt and with Heinz it's a different thing sometimes also. For instance (I think) they may file the same bottle with a different closure. That may require a new patent but still have the 32. If I'm correct the # may be the same for many years or they may opt to change with the times altogether. Usually the # will be a fairly drastic change for a different product.
Surf probably has a pic of smoke coming out the you know for me and it may be appropriate now. [:D][:D]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If you look in Zumwalts you can follow the evolution of Heinz bottles pretty well up to the turn of the century.
After that I think things get more difficult.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I agree with Matt on the numbers when it comes to Heinz bottles,don't know of any other co. this applies to but seems to be spot on with their earlier bottles. As far as that bottle,I think it is a rare one and has some decent value. I used to have a run of similar looking "worcestershire" types and never seen that one.

digginthedog

Reaction score
Here's a later machine made bottle that is base embossed only (H.J. HEINZ CO. PAT'D ) with the number 186 in the center, same style bottle , so they made these for quite a few years if it was in fact, a standard quality paper label.

6CD3DB1D4D004BDBA36D2DC7BF2B8CB1.jpg

Attachments

• 6CD3DB1D4D004BDBA36D2DC7BF2B8CB1.jpg
    6CD3DB1D4D004BDBA36D2DC7BF2B8CB1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 76

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what 'standard quality' meant.
The impression I get was it was like commercial grade for places like resturants where they wanted reasonable quality but lower cost.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1