Help for a lovely lady, please.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ombudsman

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a wonderful, warm, lovely lady. Life has given her some burdens that she did not count on in anticipation of her "golden years." She has a bottle that was given her by a relative who is no longer in her life. It means a great deal to her. Furthermore, she is fascinated by its appearance.

It is a blob-top torpedo. It has a little flat at the bottom, and would stand, though precariously. What I would like to give her is some history. I know that she has no interest in monetary value. I have attempted to draw the embossing and attach it below.

Does anyone know anything about this bottle? Thanks in advance.

4C15D3AC6975474EAD2E7368F86949B4.jpg

EDIT: There should be the words "NEW YORK" below the 1868. They were on the drawing. I don't know what happened to them.

Attachments

• 4C15D3AC6975474EAD2E7368F86949B4.jpg
    4C15D3AC6975474EAD2E7368F86949B4.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 79

epackage

Reaction score
New York bottler, here is some info from Tod's great site;

Schultz New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Ten Pin
51836AB Schultz New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Champagne Beer
51836AC C. H. S. New York, NY, United States Glass Beer Champagne Beer
51836AD Schultz Saratoga Artificial New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Drug Store
51836AE Schultz Vichy New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Drug Store
51836AF Schultz New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Pony
51836AG Schultz Aerated Distilled Water New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Case
51836AH Schultz Carlsbad New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Saratoga-Half Pint
51836AI Schultz Bitter Kissingen New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Saratoga-Half Pint
51836AJ Schultz New York, NY, United States Pottery Soft Drink Pottery Seltzer
51836AK C. H. S. New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Pony
51836AL Schultz New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Cylinderical
51836AM Schultz Bitter Kissingen New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Drug Store
51836AN Schultz New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Ten Pin
T-M-43 Schultz Carlsbad New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Drug Store
T-M-44 Schultz Congress New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Saratoga-Pint
T-M-45 Schultz Hathorn New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Saratoga-Pint
T-M-46 Schultz Vichy New York, NY, United States Glass Soft Drink Saratoga-Half Pint

epackage

Reaction score
I believe the first bottle pictured is her bottle, very cool......Jim...there's this.....

May 30, 1897, Wednesday

CARL H. SCHULTZ DEAD; The Noted Manufacturer of Mineral Waters Expires at His Home After a Short Illness. PNEUMONIA FOLLOWS A COLD Career of the Poor German Boy Who by His Own Efforts Became One of the Leading Business Men of New York.

Carl H. Schultz died yesterday morning in his home at Murray Hill, N.J., after a short illness. Up to Tuesday last he was apparently in robust health for a man of his years, and, although close to the allotted period of threescore years and ten, he attended to every detail of his immense mineral water business at First Avenue and Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth Streets.

http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABShowBottle.aspx?Bottle=51836AA&Firm_Number=51836

epackage

Reaction score
The whole article on him can be found here.... http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9805EEDA1638E733A25753C3A9639C94669ED7CF

ombudsman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I won't see the owner until the first week of June, so if anyone has anything to add it will be appreciated.
Dave

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello David,

Following on Jim's excellent research, I noticed from the Times article that Mr. Schultz had a partner in Thomas Warker, or Walker. It's spelled both ways in Sodas & Beers.

If you follow that link to Tod's great site, you'll notice that a contributing source is the namesake of Carl H. There is an e-mail address that may lead you to a treasure trove of information. Good Luck!

Paladin+card.jpg

ombudsman

Reaction score
Thank you all.

I gave the information to my friend, who was excited to have it. I did a "completed" search on eBay and found that in May three of these bottles had come up for auction. One started at 19.95, one at 9.99, and one at 8.99. None received a bid. I saw no point in telling her that the bottle that means so much to her, sentimentaly, has negligible value to others.

Thanks again.
Dave

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
Hey surfaceone, I've got one of those Paladin cards somewhere that I've had for about 45 years. Geez I'm old. ~Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward