Help identifying brick remains near potential dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Adb810

Reaction score
My family and I recently moved into a home (built in 1951) in the inner suburbs of a major city. Behind our house, down a small hill, is a very small creek. Between the house and the creek there are the remains of two brick structures, and they are indicated nowhere in the property records available online (which date back to 1963). Our whole neighborhood was built in the early 50's, and before that this area was mainly farmland. We can't figure out what these structures were.....the larger one is approximately 10' x 10' and the smaller is maybe 4' by 4'. The bricks towards the top appear to be newer than the bottom ones. I've done a small amount of digging inside them and found lots of terra cotta and pottery pieces, but unfortunately the prior owners of this house dumped tons of leftover tiles, etc., on the hillside so they're probably just that.
However, my kids have been playing down the creek and have found tons of glass pieces. Most are tiny but I was able to date one to 1939. They haven't dug for these - they just found them on the side of the creek.
I guess my questions are: #1 - any clue what these structures were? #2 - are these glass pieces indicative of a bottle dump nearby, or more of normal creek litter?
Thanks for any input!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, I can't say for sure but maybe it was an old irrigation well and pump house. I'd need a lot more to work with but it sure sounds interesting.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
See if you can find any old aerial photographs of the area. A lot of cities have aerial maps of the entire city from the sixties or before available online. They were doing them in some places as early as the 20's. These can be really useful for solving mysteries about old structures found in the woods. If they aren't available online they're often available at the city archives, but looking there is a lot more time consuming.

Ace

Reaction score
Are you in a old area of town first??? What colour/color are the bricks, probably red or yellow?? Here are some tips!if you are in a old area and all the bricks are the same colour? I'm mean like bang on, not different shades of red! Imagine looking at a very old home, if all the bricks match chances are the home was built before the railway went through area, that's why all the bricks match. Once you get to later 1800 homes you will notice the range in the colour of bricks on the house/property.

Yellow bricks were made to take heat like a kiln, check the frog which is the indent can have some info on dating there! Keep am eye on old bricks some say you still owe money for them or have a picture, some are very rare!

One more tip, you want the fire insurance maps to find out first if you are on a old property. If so it will show you all the structures that were on it! You need to find out were they are stored?? Usally town archives

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973