help- please?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dirtmover

Reaction score
I have been digging a privy and have gotten down 4ft. with finding only broken dishes and crocks, when I thought I hit the bottom of a crock on the side of the privy . But digging around the sides I discovered it is like a wall. But it is like crock material not cement. This property was owned by a dentist (I found some wicked looking dental tools) and had a huge fire go through and they lost everything. Most glass I find is a melted and distorted. After finding the privy wall (?) I started to dig where I thought the kitchen in the house was and got under the ash layer to what I thought was the floor but it is this same "crock" like material . I tapped my shovel on it and it sounds "hollow" . I don't want to go further until I find out what is underneath this. It's a scary thought. It also has a tree growing on top of it so I am trying to find out if it would be worth it? Does anyone have ideas? I sure would appreciate it .Thanks

Digger George

Reaction score
Dirtbrother you need to take some pics for us! It's not easy to visualize what you are talking about. Your probably hitting stone slabs that covered the hole and the privy continues below that.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Dirtbrother? hahahaha yea it sounds like part of the house not a privy, send pix dirtbrother. Rick

Yooper14

Reaction score
I agree...we need pictures. I'm trying to visualize if you're in the house or out of the house. If you're in the house, I would say it's sounds like a cistern. Many people had them under their houses.

dirtmover

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input . I will get some pictures as soon as the rain lets up here. The house has burned down and there's only foundation walls(Well big rocks) left . The one part is under what I believe is the kitchen of the house it's like a floor , it's flat, but is not cement at all it's more like "crock" material. The other is not connected to the house and it's standing up more like a wall. I know it's hard to help without pictures and I appreciate the info.I thought it might be a cistern,I guess I need to find some pipe or something. Oh -George, by the way I'm not a brother [:D]- Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday