Henry William Stiegel Amethyst Flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
You could call it Stiegel style.Your bottles mold is one that has not been seen before George. What the hobby is beginning to see is the influx of crudely made replicas of high end bottle to fool people.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: George Ingraham

What one or two things eliminate this one from potentially being an early mold blown glass ?

The neck (to straight to short ) and the base (lacking a good rough pontil mark) and the style of the diamonds on your bottle are not period to Stiegel, or Amelung glass.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

I don't think it is a Clevenger Brothers Chicken wire bottle mold.It looks like someones eles own modern interpretation of a Stiegel bottle. George it should look like this if it was an authentic Stiegel flask.

DFCDABA624A64D679C2F7B297FECB3E6.jpg
Hey, I bought that bottle!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Jeff check your PM box. Which bottle Georges or the one pictured.[8D]

kungfufighter

Reaction score
George, your bottle was blown in a full-sized pieced mold - Stiegel type bottles were blown with the aid of pattern molds and expanded into their final forms. I have seen numerous bottles of this type over the years and I feel strongly that they are of (relatively) recent manufacture. Please don't kill the messenger:)

baltbottles

Reaction score
George also your bottle appears to have been blown in a two piece mold where as the originals were blown in a patterned dip mold. That is why the impression on your bottle is so bold compared to the originals.

Chris

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Jeff check your PM box. Which bottle Georges or the one pictured.[8D]
The flask from Hecklers Steve. It has already been sold.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

George also your bottle appears to have been blown in a two piece mold where as the originals were blown in a patterned dip mold. That is why the impression on your bottle is so bold compared to the originals.

Chris
Jinx, buy me a Coke!

Amazing how two great minds can think alike[;)]

George Ingraham

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

Please don't kill the messenger:)

Of course not.. I truly do appreciate the honest help...

Auf,

The only one I can answer is in regards to the base..

Per Wikipedia.

A Pontil mark or punt mark is the scar where the pontil, punty or punt was broken from a work of blown glass. The presence of such a scar indicates that a glass bottle or bowl was blown freehand, while the absence of a punt mark suggests either that the mark has been obliterated or that the work was mold-blown.[1]

Some glassblowers grind a hollow into the base of their work, obliterating the natural punt scar. Where the base of the work is sufficiently heavy, the entire natural base can be sawed or ground flat. Where the base of the work is concave, after the punt has been broken from the work, the punt may be used to attach a small gather of hot glass over the punt scar, into which a maker's mark is impressed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles