HERE ARE SOME MEDS & MISC. FROM MY DUMP

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Those gilt edge dressing are cool,...we used to dig them once in awhile, but I haven't ran across any recently. I think theres an amber rectangular med style "gilt edge dressing" bottle too, but I'm not sure if it's the same outfit.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Great scores there ! Like Joe was saying the Gilt edge dressing bottle are cool .Would'nt wana trade one off a .
Good luck and Keep digging um up .
bill

mainer1

Reaction score
Outstanding dump!
Those are some great bottles
Did you just discover this dump or have you been digging it a while?
What part of the country are you digging? The bottles are the same era as the dump that I dig
Sweet finds thanks for sharing

truedigr

Reaction score
I discovered this dump last winter. After a serious flood, the bank revealed iron, glass, and pottery. Started digging and found a Duffy's Malt Whiskey. After finding that, I dug it like a human backhoe. I quit digging it when the temps reached 90 and the poison ivy and mosquitos got bad. Been chomping at the bit to get back at it. The part of town it is in is crowded during the summer if you know what I mean. Why are all the good dumps in the hood??? Probably go back in the fall. Robert

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hello truedigr,

I don't know how much history you have on Frederick Stearns Co but I found extensive records on the family in Detroit from 1864 through 1930.
Frederick Stearns (Sr.) was born in Lockport, NY in 1831 The earliest records I found for him are tax records indicating he paid taxes on inventory ($8606.00!!!!)on Liquor sales and "apothacary" sales in Detroit.
In 1870 the census lists him as "druggist" at 71 Woodward Ave in Detroit. At this time he had a son named Frederick Kimball Stearns who was born in 1854 in Buffalo and was in "college"
1880 found the Stearns family living at Lafayette Ave. in Detroit. Fred Sr. was a "druggist" and Fred Jr. "chemist". No census exists for 1890
1900 his occupation was "manufacturer medical lab"
Frederick Stearns, Sr. died in January of 1907 .
Frederick Kimball Stearns shows up in passport records as having traveled extensively from 1906 thru 1920....China, Japan, Hong Kong, and Philippines. He died in1924...In Beverly Hills, California (no less!)
Frederick Kimball Stearns had a son names Frederick Sweet Stearns b. 1881 who continued the medical manufacturing business until at least 1930 where he is listed as Chairman of the Board of Frederick Stearns Co. He also traveled extensively abroad to Switzerland, Ireland, France, Great Britain, Hawaii and Spain...with and without his family for up to two years.
I cannot find a date of death for Fred S. and don't know if he had any children to take over the business but your bottle comes from a very impressive family!

Regards,
Marjorie

marjorie040

Reaction score
truedigr,

P.S. For all those years of manufacturing....none of his bottles shows up in my 6 bottle books or two of Matts CD.

Do you know if your bottle is rare?
Regards,
Marjorie

truedigr

Reaction score
Marjorie, thanks for the history on Frederick Stearns. Sounds like he definitelt made a career of it. This bottle is pretty common. I also have one exactly like this one except a mini version and a small amber cylinder. I think he made some cobalt and milk glass bottles as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem