Hilton's jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Does anyone have info on this jar/bottle ? It is embossed " HILTON'S PAT MAR 10 1868 " I dug it here in Bath, Maine years ago. I don't collect canning jars but it could be a wax seal type jar. Looks late 1800's due to whittle surface and bubbles.

Cliff
DSC00041 (24).JPG
DSC00041 (24).JPG

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Alexander J.H. Hilton of Boston, Mass.. Here is what i found. Hope it is helpful.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Is there anything on the base? Super canning jar!!!! Made by the Massachusetts Glass Company, Patent issued to Alexander J. Hilton of Boston. (patent for the closure etc) closure
Listed as #1256 in the red book 5-600 more if correct closure

Thanks Coreya for your red book info. I don't think I found the closure for the jar. I don't recall anything on the base. Jar is still packed away in one of my boxes for years. Guess it might be worth digging it out sometime. I think I remember finding the glass top and probably have it in my inserts and tops for canning jars that are also packed away. Looks familiar in the patent drawing. Probably someone that collects canning jars would be interested in the jar.

Cliff

coreya

Reaction score
Any serious collector would love that jar but sadly most are getting up there and interest seems to be waning due to economy, jobs etc. Doubt its a prototype, looks like the normal jar but still a hard jar to come by. Having the glass top only adds to the jar and if you had the original clamp would be a home run! :D

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973