Hobbleskirt Coke with 1916 date error

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
download.axd
It almost seems that #4 is in a plant code position.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CC Here's the link for others to see where you found the Owens Glass information ... http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/owensbottlecompany.pdf However, based on everything I've seen and read so far, I can't find any indication that Owens Glass Company ever produced Coca Cola bottles of any type. Are you aware of any? The only connection between Owens Glass and Coca Cola I'm aware of is when Owens Glass purchased Graham Glass in 1916 but continued to operate under the Graham name and not the Owens name. Plus, according to most sources, the Owens Glass Company used an "O" in a "square" [O] mark from 1911 to 1929, which is when they merged with the Illinois Glass Company to become Owens-Illinois Glass Company.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Correction ... The [O] mark was patented in 1919 and not 1911. However, I still can't find where Owens Glass ever produced any Coca Cola bottles of any type. ???

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well sure they did...my 1936 bottle with the Dec. 25, 1923 patent is from Owens Illinois ...and is from Plant #4 Clarksburg, WV .....and they shipped them all across the land!...mine is marked Eureka Cal.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CC If your bottle is a 1936, then it could not have been made by Owens Glass because Owens Glass was not in existence in 1936. Remember, Owens Glass and Illinois Glass merged in 1929 to become Owens-Illinois.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CC The mark your are referring to probably looks something like this ... 4 <(I)> 6 ... which is an Owens-Illinois mark first used in 1929-1930

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hmmm... just another snippet from the article....this was around 1917 The Clarksburg factory remained in production and became a plant of the Owens-Illinois Glass Co., retaining its distinction as Plant No. 4 in the new company.

Canadacan

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
CC The mark your are referring to probably looks something like this ... 4 <(I)> 6 ... which is an Owens-Illinois mark first used in 1929-1930
yup that's the one...........actually 4 <(I)> 36

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Thanks ... That's an Owens-Illinois mark and not an Owen's mark! I'm not saying Owens Bottle Company/Owens Glass Company did not use plant number, because they did. I'm just saying that prior to 1929 Owens Glass and Illinois Glass were two entirely different companies that merged in 1929. I'm also saying I can't find any indication whatsoever showing where Owens Glass ever produced any Coca Cola bottles.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yea I know what your saying..lol Digesting some of this it just points out that Coke bottles were made at the #4 plant in Clarksburg right. But is there concrete proof that Owens did?..no , at least not under the Owens trade mark.Is there proof that that Coke with the #4 came from Vicksburg?...noBut this may be a possibility when you connect the dots.....It just seems like an odd coincident that my bottle is from Clarksburg....and that plant was owned by Owens before the merger.... Had the look at the original question again[:D] ..he picked the bottle up in Virginia.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks