How do bottles turn purple?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barbieheid

Reaction score
Hi peoples, [:)]

I've been wondering ... how do older bottles turn purple? I read somewhere that it has to do with manganese in the bottle or being exposed to sunlight - is that true?

Got some junk bottles that would look much better purple, LOL!

walkingstick

Reaction score
It is both reasons. The manganese and the exposure to sunlight. The ultraviolet light in sunlight will cause the manganese in the glass to turn amethyst. I always call this "sun colored amethyst (sca). You can also use a black light to do this. I have also heard that xrays and the rays inside a nuclear reactor will turn them also.

barbieheid

Reaction score
I have also heard that xrays and the rays inside a nuclear reactor will turn them also.
[/quote]

Hmmm ... I can't very well nuke them, at least not without alarming the neighbors :) How long does the sunlight thing take?

Roger

Reaction score
Barbie lots of interesting posts on this subject, just use the search function and type in 'purple' and your search parameters.

PS. Better take the email address out of your sig because it can be harvested by spam bots. Members can email you just by clicking on the envelope icon above your user name so it's no problem to remove it.

David E

Reaction score
You can turn it almost or the same as the sun does with a Germicital Bulb. Don't beleive a black light will work and if it is
nuked you will know it was, because how dark and ugly it gets.

Dave

capsoda

Reaction score
I thought they held there breath.[sm=lol.gif]

It had to be said.[:)] Just the manganese reacting to ultra violet rays.{simplified}

barbieheid

Reaction score
PS. Better take the email address out of your sig because it can be harvested by spam bots. Members can email you just by clicking on the envelope icon above your user name so it's no problem to remove it.
[/quote]

Ack!

barbieheid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

I thought they held there breath.[sm=lol.gif]

Between ebay problems, etc, I'm holding mine! Give me duck tape for my head!

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
Hi barbieheid...I remember you bidding on poison bottles many times on ebay...especially those Wheaton coffin-shaped ones! Nice to see you.

barbieheid

Reaction score
Hi barbieheid...I remember you bidding on poison bottles many times on ebay...especially those Wheaton coffin-shaped ones! Nice to see you.
[/quote]

Hi there! Yeah, I love those things :) Got rid of all my other Wheaton's but will always have a passion for those coffin's.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26