how do I clean hard rust off of liscense plate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

the ham man

Reaction score
i have recently dug up a 1930 liscense plate that is from maryland and it has great embossing. i tried cleaning it up and got a little rust off but I know that theres no way to get all of it off with what im doing. it actually still has paint under the rust and I would like to keep the paint and lose the rust. if this is impossible then i would gladly get rid of both and repaint it. please help. thanks in advance.

Erik T

Reaction score
have you tried clr? i'm not too sure about this so don't do it right away but I heard muratic acid works faster but It might damage the plate somehow.

Nickevlau

Reaction score
There are a few threads talking about oxalic acid as a rust remover. I have heard of muratic acid, except used for bottles.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Joey: There is a product made by Krud Kutter specifically for rust. It is an amazing product and will restore any heavily rusted material with out damaging paint that is not already damaged by the rust. I speak form personal experiance and I have never had a product perform as well and as throughly as Krud Kutter for rust did.
You will have to soak it in a shallow pan but you will be amazed with the outcome. Tim[:)]

waskey

Reaction score
Joey, I believe ACE hardware sold Krud Kutter; the name sounds very familiar from when I had to stock all the cleaning supplies.

the ham man

Reaction score
thanks hen. i will definetely look into that. Tim, is there anything else I should know before cleaning my liscense plate such as how long to keep it in there.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello the ham man; I usually spray them with PB Blaster until I can work on them. I have quite a collection of L.Plates. The oldest was made of leather. When I do clean them I put them in a pan with Extend for a while and then touch up the bad spots. Just to tell you about my old N.Y. plates. RED Matthews.

markh

Reaction score
You might try electrolytic cleaning. You'd need a plastic tray, water, some washing soda, a piece of iron, some wire and a battery charger. this will disolve the rust without attacking the the underlying metal. Try a google search on electrolytic rust removal. eg. here's the general idea:

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

hope this helps,
Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960