How much is it worth?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botil

Reaction score
I have the intention of buying a bottle.
It is a square utility bottle from Italy or France c.1740-1780.
Blowpipe pontil scar and flared lip.
Dim: 25 x 11 x 11cm.
How much would you pay for it?
Thank you for help,
Juan Carlos.
pilio0.jpg

pilio1.jpg

pilio2.jpg

pilio3.jpg

botil

Reaction score
The bottle is from an old and well known house in the island.
The house has more than one thousand years of history.
One year ago died the grand mather and one of her four sons is now selling everything
before selling the building.
The bottle was in a basement of the house and I'm absolutely sure it is not a repro.
It is in mint condition. It has some slight wear on the base.

Hey Juan, Been a while since you have been around. Here is some info on pig snout case gins from an earlyer post. https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-76804/mpage-1/key-pig%252Csnout/tm.htm#76810

Thanks for help Capsoda but I think it isn't a Dutch case gin.
A botlle like that is listed on "Antique glass bottles-Their History and Evolution (1500-1850):Willy Van den Bosche".
plate 182 (1), pag.230.
The question is... how much could I pay for it?
Unsure.gif

Thanks everybody for opinions.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, the lip is unusual but I'm from the school that if a glass blower wants the embelish they will. I don't think it a repro but it would be the color to buy it for. I agree it may be more of an utilitary type than a gin. I wouldn't hesitate to go tor $200 US if I had the cash. It's a beauty. I have to also add that here in the states people are less like to spend that much on European bottles and that in europe bottles of that age are more common do to the MUCH longer history. If you can afford it and want it you'll have to check more of the trends in your area to help you decide.
I would refer you to Peasant Interior by David Teniers (1610-90) painting that is depicted in American Bottles and Flasks and Thier Ancestry. It's similar in form. I may be going out on a limb but these are some thoughts. Good luck on YOUR desision.

tigue710

Reaction score
If your sure your sure, but I would not buy that bottle. For being 250 years old it is to clean. There should be some scratches, or at least a little wear on the base. That thing only has 50 years of wear on it. You sure the Grandmother never went to Mexico or Venice or Istanbul? Those types of bottles make great souvenirs...

I think an authentic bottle with that lip in a case form would pre date the 1700's too, wouldnt it? Wasnt that style popular in the 1600's? just a second thought...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
It is just not the type of thing you see here in the USA very often, thus my previous response. I'm not sure this is the place you are going to get a good answer on it.
You certainly come up with some interesting bottles.

I posted a photo of some perfume corkscrews in another post...
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-132351/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#132363
If you were wondering what they look like. The silver ones are harder to find.

marjorie040

Reaction score
GuntherHess,
I've never heard of a perfume corkscrew!!
They are just gorgious!! What would I expect to pay if I can across one of these?
Thanks,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4