how to date stonewear???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey all i have this crock i guess thats stonewear uh.well anyway was wondering how ya date a piece when it doesnt have any markings on it i posted a pic when i first dug it up an got some good info on what it may have been use for. an there was some mention of glazing to. anybody thanks all bill

Sq45779.jpg

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Bill,
Without a potter's stamp it's very difficult to date stoneware.Sometimes the type of glaze used and the 'crazing'(spiderweb cracking) will give you a rough timeframe.Unfortunately,your crock is salt-glazed,which was used from the 15th century til around 1920.Sorry.I know that's not much help![:D]

KAT

trussin

Reaction score
Hey Bill happy birth day late. I own a bit of stoneware. Big kitty is right its hard to date. But not impossible to get into a range. The color of the piece should get you to a region of the country. Similar shaped to pieces that are stamped . Shape itself. Where it was found.Your piece seems hand thrown and if you are in the US I would guess Pa. if the picture shows the color correctly. The late eighteen hundreds is always an easy guess.

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey thanks all. the colors a bit greener than the pic shows an it could have vere well come from pa. as it was dug from the banks of the ohio river. i live it what use to be the place to stop on the river from the late 1600 till the late 1800 when the railroad moved in . thank agian all bill

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey