Huge Find 5/29

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Well I get where you're coming from now, Pat.. people pillaged your burnt out place and this is somehow reminding you of that.. I am sorry that happened to you, but I'd be hesitant to make the comparison.

I think this is the root of all his cynicism and judgmental assumptions about others. Makes sense.

If we had the misfortune of some scrap of scum burning our house down and thus destroying a majority of our accumulations, and way of life in general, then Pat's reaction would make sense to most of us. I would be devastated. Having people root through the wreckage adds insult to injury. I suppose that he has gone through some almost unbearably tough times, but has risen from the ashes and conquered much of that past. Not all of the negative emotional components, clearly, but i really can't say that I would be any less cynical if all of my collections were maliciously destroyed.

When I was in 5th grade my brother placed my entire coin collection into the garbage, several thousand worth of good coins; some found via detecting or random chance, some bought at shows/markets, some bought from shops, and the most important ones were given to me by my beloved passed grandfather, who had nurtured the hobby when I was very young, and in my father before me when he was young. I saw them in the can after returning from school, and was more livid than I had ever been before. I would have killed him. He shattered crates of my BIM bottles when I was in grade-school, thinking I had stolen and hidden some SNES game of his (untrue), and ripped the leather binding off of rare and beautiful 19th century books I had acquired at the estate sales my father brought me to, for no apparent reason. He had done plenty of other mean and nasty things, to me and the rest of my family, but you get the idea. Regardless, he is my brother and because of that bond alone I painstakingly spent years showing his ADHD, tantrum-throwing and socially inappropriate arse how the world works and how to operate within it. It took a very long time for the investment to pay off. Most people would just say F*ck it and never give him another chance (and another, and another... lol).

Now we share the closest relationship that he has with anyone else in the family. Despite the pain, damage and suffering he has caused i love him unconditionally, and will stand up for him (almost) without question, even to my parents; with whom he has a less-than-ideal relationship. He is a lot better now, but the pain he had caused my siblings and parents in the past has seemingly altered their perception of him, apparently permanently, as still being the horrendously destructive brat he once had been.

Forgiveness and understanding takes more guts than judgement and cynical pessimism. Takes time and effort but it is worth it. If you can't forgive someone, then you allow them to continue "hurting" you every waking day, thus precluding you from living a happy and balanced life. Instead, it makes ya lash out at people without any objective justification. Everybody loses in such a situation.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Well I get where you're coming from now, Pat.. people pillaged your burnt out place and this is somehow reminding you of that.. I am sorry that happened to you, but I'd be hesitant to make the comparison.

I think this is the root of all his cynicism and judgmental assumptions about others. Makes sense.

If we had the misfortune of some scrap of scum burning our house down and thus destroying a majority of our accumulations, and way of life in general, then Pat's reaction would make sense to most of us. I would be devastated. Having people root through the wreckage adds insult to injury. I suppose that he has gone through some almost unbearably tough times, but has risen from the ashes and conquered much of that past. Not all of the negative emotional components, clearly, but i really can't say that I would be any less cynical if all of my collections were maliciously destroyed.

When I was in 5th grade my brother placed my entire coin collection into the garbage, several thousand worth of good coins; some found via detecting or random chance, some bought at shows/markets, some bought from shops, and the most important ones were given to me by my beloved passed grandfather, who had nurtured the hobby when I was very young, and in my father before me when he was young. I saw them in the can after returning from school, and was more livid than I had ever been before. I would have killed him. He shattered crates of my BIM bottles when I was in grade-school, thinking I had stolen and hidden some SNES game of his (untrue), and ripped the leather binding off of rare and beautiful 19th century books I had acquired at the estate sales my father brought me to, for no apparent reason. He had done plenty of other mean and nasty things, to me and the rest of my family, but you get the idea. Regardless, he is my brother and because of that bond alone I painstakingly spent years showing his ADHD, tantrum-throwing and socially inappropriate arse how the world works and how to operate within it. It took a very long time for the investment to pay off. Most people would just say F*ck it and never give him another chance (and another, and another... lol).

Now we share the closest relationship that he has with anyone else in the family. Despite the pain, damage and suffering he has caused i love him unconditionally, and will stand up for him (almost) without question, even to my parents; with whom he has a less-than-ideal relationship. He is a lot better now, but the pain he had caused my siblings and parents in the past has seemingly altered their perception of him, apparently permanently, as still being the horrendously destructive brat he once had been.

Forgiveness and understanding takes more guts than judgement and cynical pessimism. Takes time and effort but it is worth it. If you can't forgive someone, then you allow them to continue "hurting" you every waking day, thus precluding you from living a happy and balanced life. Instead, it makes ya lash out at people without any objective justification. Everybody loses in such a situation.
WOW ! ! ! That is FANTASTIC. I hope EVERYONE reads and UNDERSTANDS what Stephen has said here and puts it into PRACTICE. The world would be a better place if we did. Thank you Stephen

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

WOW ! ! ! That is FANTASTIC. I hope EVERYONE reads and UNDERSTANDS what Stephen has said here and puts it into PRACTICE. The world would be a better place if we did. Thank you Stephen

Plumb did you just watch Dr Phil ?[8D]

mf150

Reaction score
First off, BOOM, Baby!

Secondly...

If that be the case, I, too, fall into the second category. I wish to have the luck of the OP...
Closest I came was finding a screw top sloans liniment bottle on the banks of the Middle Fork of the Feather River. Not rare by any means, but a thrill none the less.

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: mf150

I haven't dug a bottle in my life, yet. I'm not jealous when I see extraordinary outcomes like this. I'm freakin inspired!
Going to the Sierra-Nevada Mountians in a few days--home of the California Gold Rush--, and I am hopeful to have some of the OP's luck. If I find anything during my hikes, I'll take lots of pictures. :)

Congrats to the OP! ;)

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: CazDigger

Congrats on an awesome find!! I agree with Matt. Not sure what it is, when someone has good fortune, others try to( knock them down.) I see it on deer hunting websites too. If someone shoots a big buck, they are automatically labeled as photoshopped - hoaxes or worse - poachers. Not everyone is going to get lucky, no matter how hard you work at it, but luck favors those who work hard.

Ahhhh the good ole "Puce Eagle" day's that had to be the record for non stop "knock um down" jealousy. I don't care what you say or who you are, most of the bickering comes from jealousy even if it is subconsciously. (ohhhh im not jealous) bullchitt.

"Not everyone is going to get lucky, no matter how hard you work at it, but luck favors those who work hard".

Best quote I heard in a long time.

There are a few types of jealousy. Some people get all worked up and mad because they didn't dig the "good bottle/bottles" posted on the forum.That turns into ranting and raving.It goes on and on and on and on.and the thread gets longer.
It is all pent up inside of them.It is a way to get their frustrations out. They will not admit they are jealous but they are.Some people are just big baby's.
Dr Phil will tell ya.[8D]

Then there is the other type of jealous. You see a great bottle on the forum ,you are happy for the guy who dug it and you want that to happen to you real soon.
"man I wish I could just walk on a lot and find a barrel of great bottles like you did" I'm jealous" and inspired at the same time.

I hope that straighten that chit out

I fall into the second category

There stuff that in your clay pipe and smoke it [:D]

ajohn

Reaction score

Forgiveness and understanding takes more guts than judgement and cynical pessimism. Takes time and effort but it is worth it. If you can't forgive someone, then you allow them to continue "hurting" you every waking day, thus precluding you from living a happy and balanced life.

As an older man, I am grateful when I get to witness young men and woman with the courage to stand up and express ideas like this. We may yet still have a chance.

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ajohn

Forgiveness and understanding takes more guts than judgement and cynical pessimism. Takes time and effort but it is worth it. If you can't forgive someone, then you allow them to continue "hurting" you every waking day, thus precluding you from living a happy and balanced life.

As an older man, I am grateful when I get to witness young men and woman with the courage to stand up and express ideas like this. We may yet still have a chance.

Seconded, Anthony-John!

Well, and truly said, sir.

And Taylor,

That is still a great recovery, from a providentially asked permission. Great going, sir.

7288180606_b3cb0ef0f8_c.jpg

bamabottles

Reaction score
Obviously both sides of this issue are true to an extent. On the one hand noone is going to take the time and trouble to pick out and put bottles into drums and cover them (even "poorly" cover them) unless they see some value in them and plan to get them or know someone that might want them. Construction jobs all have deadlines and it took quite a bit of time to pick out and set aside that many bottles... most would just run over them... regardless, the bottom line is that they revert to the landowner's property (if the tenant has been gone for a certain amount of time--varies by state) and therefore the landowner CAN and DID give the bottles to those with permission to dig.... removing an eyesore from his/her property which was a help to him/her.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bamabottles

Obviously both sides of this issue are true to an extent. On the one hand noone is going to take the time and trouble to pick out and put bottles into drums and cover them (even "poorly" cover them) unless they see some value in them and plan to get them or know someone that might want them. Construction jobs all have deadlines and it took quite a bit of time to pick out and set aside that many bottles... most would just run over them... regardless, the bottom line is that they revert to the landowner's property (if the tenant has been gone for a certain amount of time--varies by state) and therefore the landowner CAN and DID give the bottles to those with permission to dig.... removing an eyesore from his/her property which was a help to him/her.
Exactly!

David Fertig

Reaction score
WOW!

I've been off the forum for a couple days and look what happens! Guess I have to add my two mites.

House is abandoned. Owner gives permission to take whatever is wanted.

I don't really see what the confusion is.

One of the things I do to provide for my family is building salvage. Barns, log houses, and other old buildings. I've seen plenty of cases where - for whatever reason - the tennants are gone and have left - again, for whatever reason - plenty of valuable items.

Anyone ever see "Storage Wars"? Someone used to own those items that are now being sold at auction. They stopped paying the rent on the unit, and guess what? The storage unit's real estate owners now have the rights to the contents!

Are we to expect the property owner to maintain items that previous tennents left behind? "Sorry I can't rent this house to you unless you agree to use and maintain all the furniture the last tennants left here." "Oh, that old rusty car in the back yard? Think it's a Chevelle or something. Been up on those blocks for the past three years. Heard the guy put a lot of money into the motor. Shame. He should have put that money into his rent and child support. But, no - I won't move it. They said he will be getting out of jail in 5-10, so I plan on letting it sit right there for him. Don't worry, you'll get used to seeing it sitting there in the yard. Just keep your kids off the hood or I'll have to up your rent to pay for damages so I can maintain it for the guy who is now in jail and still owes me back rent."

So... the guy who helps a property owner clean up their yard - with their permission - should not be trusted to not steal bottles off your shelves?

Oh - congrats on thhe great find! Most of us should be so lucky.

E9D14955E7304086B497F387C4B9B82E.jpg

Attachments

• E9D14955E7304086B497F387C4B9B82E.jpg
    E9D14955E7304086B497F387C4B9B82E.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 77

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1