I almost screwed up....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ncbred

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110594655363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was about to bid 2 times that amount thinking it was real. I thought the neck looked a little funny. Then I decided to do a little research and found this...

NewBern75th.jpg

Still a nice looking repro. Wouldn't pay $104 for it though.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that much for a real one! Good you did some homework.. [;)]

green dragon

Reaction score
Sad that sellers have to mislead buyers on purpose to make a sale like this - even after it was explained, then he posts " anything over 25 yrs old is antique" .

cop-out and untruthful anyways - the American Auctioneers state that 100 years is true antique, others would argue muist be TOC or older, bottle ppl generally figure pre-toc.... only ones I ever saw specifically state the 25 year cut-off was the American Antique Automobile Association .

neat bottle for about 5 bucks, otherwise, he can keep it from where I stand. ( agree with cyber, if I was dropping 100 bucks, would not be an original of this eather, but some quality ACL(s) :)

happy hunting.

~ AL

ncbred

Reaction score
I would have paid a little over $200 for it if it was real with an original label that nice. That would have been the most I've ever paid for a bottle too. I've not broke the $75 plain yet when it comes to buying a bottle.

That repro doesn't come around very often either. It may be worth that much for all I know. I would have cried if I paid over $20 for a repro though.

nydigger

Reaction score
Isn't anything 25-100 years considered vintage or classic and not antique? Least that's the way I always figured it. I hate people that try and dupe others for a buck. Before I list anything on E-bay I research it so that I know what I am talking about and that the buyer has a good idea of what they are looking at getting from me. Those others that mislead give the rest of us a bad rap.

bama1

Reaction score
nostalgia had a thread about this on the reproduction forum "labeled pepsi bottle on ebay"

Ay See Ell

Reaction score
Good thing you checked that out... Could have been a big mistake.

fishnuts

Reaction score
Gosh, I loathe weasely venders like this one.
Antique is 100 years old. Period. (Except automobiles, as stated)
This guy is a liar about that. He can call it 'antique' but that doesn't make it so.
This guy is a fraud. My guess that the contents of that estate sale would have led any serious student of collectibles to understand that this bottle was not an original.

Funny thing...I have found this vendor to be doing the same sort of tactics in other collectible areas...i.e. pushing new or repro items off as originals...

Pathetic.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1