I am curious about jar names...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Owen

Reaction score
Pardon what might seem like a naive question.... What is the proper terminology for jars in general? For instance if I was looking on ebay I find them with all sorts of reference names. I guess I am asking if I wanted to be correct when I refer to jars in general do I say "Canning Jars" or "Fruit Jars"? Just "Jars" or what? What is the accepted terminology?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Often debated and never a definitive answer. https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Why-do-they-call-it-canning%3F/m-582198/tm.htm
My best answer might be a preserving jar. Since no one uses that much though it won't help with finding or eliminating items in a search.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The other thing for searching is that most of the collecting books call them "Fruit Jars" as with "The Fruit Jar Works" and the "Red Book" series so the best search-able may be that.

MNJars

Reaction score
The collecting world definately calls them "fruit jars". Although, at least where I am from, the vast minority of canning is fruit. It seems like most people can vegetables, sauces, and pickles.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The collecting world definately calls them "fruit jars".
Yup, gotta go with that even if it's not quite accurate. It's like the regional things like pop or soda, sub and hoagie. [:D][:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson