I am trying to think why someone cut this….

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I am trying to think why someone cut this…. And then glued it back on, really badly! This was in a lot of stuff from the auction. I keep picturing someone doing that to put on a bottle they broke, then trying to cut the broken one to fit, and busting it all up. Then forgetting they have the glueing skills of a 3 year old, trying to fix this one? Any ideas why?!

cd2779a3e0d082c3ebe2e7c580d5abef.jpg

c378d1a339ca5ac68b3d3a82ec491817.jpg

0c896e94ff754bb3b696c34e72c9a540.jpg

And that’s a weird base. I don’t think I’ve seen that before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'd typically expect to see this sort of thing when someone finds a rare bottle with the neck broken off, and then a neck from another example of the same bottle with the bottom broken off. Odd to see someone doing it to a bottle like yours though, even though it is a somewhat unusual shape it doesn't seem anywhere close to the sort of bottle that would be worth the effort. Maybe someone was doing it here as a practice attempt? I imagine if I was first learning to cut glass I wouldn't be doing it with bottles I cared about.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I'd typically expect to see this sort of thing when someone finds a rare bottle with the neck broken off, and then a neck from another example of the same bottle with the bottom broken off. Odd to see someone doing it to a bottle like yours though, even though it is a somewhat unusual shape it doesn't seem anywhere close to the sort of bottle that would be worth the effort. Maybe someone was doing it here as a practice attempt? I imagine if I was first learning to cut glass I wouldn't be doing it with bottles I cared about.

Practice! (They couldn’t do that on a Bromoseltzer or a lea perines or maybe a nice Ragu jar?) if this was in the expendable pile, I’d like to see their good stuff- (wait-maybe I have their good stuff too!). Thanks for the input!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Practice! (They couldn’t do that on a Bromoseltzer or a lea perines or maybe a nice Ragu jar?) if this was in the expendable pile, I’d like to see their good stuff- (wait-maybe I have their good stuff too!). Thanks for the input!

My guess was that it was practicing with a couple of broken bottles they found, I think that's more likely than them cutting the neck off of an intact bottle and then sticking it back on.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
My guess was that it was practicing with a couple of broken bottles they found, I think that's more likely than them cutting the neck off of an intact bottle and then sticking it back on.

This is a poorly done Frankenstein bottle?! Do these come out better than this for people? (I hope!?)
Sorry…. I’ve led a very sheltered life, here…. Self taught, (and I didn’t even think of that one, in 37 years!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tiffany29062810

Reaction score
I am trying to think why someone cut this…. And then glued it back on, really badly! This was in a lot of stuff from the auction. I keep picturing someone doing that to put on a bottle they broke, then trying to cut the broken one to fit, and busting it all up. Then forgetting they have the glueing skills of a 3 year old, trying to fix this one? Any ideas why?!

cd2779a3e0d082c3ebe2e7c580d5abef.jpg

c378d1a339ca5ac68b3d3a82ec491817.jpg

0c896e94ff754bb3b696c34e72c9a540.jpg

And that’s a weird base. I don’t think I’ve seen that before!

I think that base means that it was blown glass, maybe?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
This is a poorly done Frankenstein bottle?! Do these come out better than this for people? (I hope!?)
Sorry…. I’ve led a very sheltered life, here…. Self taught, (and I didn’t even think of that one, in 37 years!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's likely two broken bottles of the same type glued together. When done properly, with professional expertise and the right coloured epoxy rather than whatever glue they found kicking around under the sink, it can be very difficult to tell that the bottle was repaired at all without looking closely. Typically it's something you see on old pontilled soda bottles and that sort of thing.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum