I really need some help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SeanColvin

Reaction score
Here's my situation. I live in a town that was partially bought out by another town so that it could be destroyed and made into a big reservoir. Not all the land bought is underwater, in fact about half of it is just private land FILLED with foundation after foundation. The possibilities are basically endless for me. My dad got me hooked on it because he did it when he was a kid and the house is filled with em'.I have lots and lots of questions about the hobby of digging bottles. (I know my dad can't tell me everything because it's been slightly modernized)
First: how do you guy's find OLDER dumps. If I want to find an older one does that mean that there won't be any glass on the surface? If so, what's the best way of finding fully submerged dumps?
Next: If I dig about a foot or so and come up with few to zero results does that mean I should keep digging or stop? How far down would I have to go to start hitting bottles?
Next: If I want to dig an outhouse, how far down will I need to go before I start finding bottles? (on average)
Next:What should I be digging more of: The actual dump itself or in the out house?
Next: what tips do you have for cleaning stubborn bottles. (I have many)
Lastly: what tools are best for digging?
I have been using a three pronged claw to scratch away at the ground. I am afraid to use a shovel because I don't want to break anything hence the question about how for down I need to go.
Thanks for your time and input, Sean.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think you better get yourself a probing rod. That is a much easier way to locate bottles several feet underground without any digging. I do not have one, but I bet somebody here can help you to acquire one. Good luck.. sounds like you might have something there...

ellisnowens

Reaction score
hi, here is a link to get started with a probe.I purchased one from this guy and it works great and is very well made.cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBay.ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=15037431433

SeanColvin

Reaction score
hmm that link doesn't seem to work. Do you think you could try it again?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBay.ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=15037431433

hmmm that didn't work either.. sorry!

SeanColvin

Reaction score
I just hammered one out of a steel rod that was in my garage. Pretty solid!

Jim

Reaction score
If the house foundations are old (pre-1900), I would go for the privies. They can be a lot of work, but will be well worth it if you keep at it. An average single house pit is usually anywhere from 4 to 10 feet deep, and they can be deeper.

I will use an actual example of a pit that I dug to help give you an idea of what to expect. This was neither an awesome pit nor a bad one, not an easy dig but not a horribly hard one either- Just a decent, average 1880s-90s house pit.

The pit was easy to find with the probe, as it was stone-lined and slightly sunken. The first six feet were sticky orange clay (fill), followed by a use layer on the bottom two feet. Without looking in my dig journal for the full list, I remember getting a few embossed local druggists, a nice yellow strap-side flask with a star embossed, some embossed patent medicines and of course plenty of slicks and busted-up dishware. I also reconstructed a nice yellowware chamber pot and dinner plate that were found in pieces.

Six feet of nothing but clay, and then the bottles. On occasion, it will be ten feet of fill and no bottles. That sucks, but don't let it discourage you. Some pits are loaded to the top or very nearly so. Most are not. Keep finding and digging pits, and you will be rewarded numerous times along the way. ~Jim

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Sean,

Old maps from the library or a Sanborn or 2 can be very helpful. While I have not found a lot of dumps via maps, some are charted. The local historical society or museum may have some good information. Talking to local seasoned citizens is sometimes very productive. Good luck!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter