I really need some help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PrivyProwler

Reaction score
You can make a probe if you have a welder and the know how.

1" pipe by 12" long. Useing a 5/16" or 3/8" drill bit drill a hole through the center of the side (6" mark).

4'-6' long By 5/16" or 3/8" thick springsteel rod. Place one end of the 5/16" or 3/8" springsteel rod through the center of the 5/16" or 3/8" hole on the 1" pipe untill its flush with the other side of the 1" pipe. Weld the 2 pices in place.

Now on the other end of the 5/16" or 3/8" springsteel place a nut about 1' to 1 1/2" up the shaft. Weld only the bottom side (ground side) of the nut to the shaft. grind off the rough weld on the bottom of the nut to a simi-long tapper. Then grind the tip to a pointed tapper.

Note: If your hardwear/steel supply store doesn't carry springsteel then the next best thing to use would be coldroll.

PrivyProwler

Reaction score
The best way to find a privy in my opinion.

First make sure the house dates prior to 1900. After that get permission if needed. then established where the rear entrace to the house was during that period. From that point mesure 20' out from the rear entrace and mark the spot. Then measure out to 30' foot and mark the spot. More than not the privy will be within this 10 foot wide section. Now that you have established this probe back and forth through the width of the yard within the 10' foot area. You will know if you find it because you will have ash on the probe shaft.

This works for me. Happy Digging!

Note: Also look for impresions in the ground.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi all, I just read through this thread and found no mention of the trunk lid holding spring rods. I have heard of people joining two together to make a tempered bottle probe. I am too old to do it, but the idea of doing it - and the success of diggers; seems like a great reason to try. RED Matthews

SeanColvin

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, and were you referring to the outhouse or the actual dump? 6 feet seems like a hell of a ways! (for a dump) By the way I have acquired a 1870's map of my town which is awesome and I have scanned it for hours at a time. One more question: what exactly is a Privy?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SeanColvin
One more question: what exactly is a Privy?

Before the days of indoor plumbing, there was the privy, or outhouse.. a small building outside which housed a simple toilet.. a bench with a hole in it, positioned over a hole in the ground.
Not only did people take care of their nature calls out there, they also threw other items in there, and lots of them were bottles. If you can find the holes (which have been filled in by now) there's a good chance of finding bottles down there..

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
One thought on probe making...everyone usually recommends to only drill the handle (1" pipe) thru the bottom,...letting the spring steel shaft rest against the inside surface of the pipe handle. That way if the weld let go,..the probe shaft can't slide thru the handle and poke you (or worse)..... Good luck, Joe

lexdigger

Reaction score
The best one I've used has the back hole drilled out smaller. The rod was tapered to stick through just a little. That way you can get a double weld on the rod, without the chance of it ever comming through the second hole. The second weld helps to keep it sturdy in extreem situations.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
sean..you might want to try comparing your map with google earth..thats what i do..you can set markers for areas you want to explore and mark where you find stuff,,idk kinda helps

athometoo

Reaction score
i use msn maps and directions along with an old toc map which you can find online , even old railroad maps . have both windows open for comparison . even though names of roads change , follow creek and river lines , they hardly change . then use msn and zoom in on an area of interest . maps side by side 100yrs different is amazing . streets renamed but the creeks and rvers and rail lines usually stay the same . historical aerial photos from the 50s also helps locate structures . just a thought . good luck and when in doubt probe it . sam

SeanColvin

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Before the days of indoor plumbing, there was the privy, or outhouse.. a small building outside which housed a simple toilet.. a bench with a hole in it, positioned over a hole in the ground.
Not only did people take care of their nature calls out there, they also threw other items in there, and lots of them were bottles. If you can find the holes (which have been filled in by now) there's a good chance of finding bottles down there..

Oh, I knew what an outhouse is I just didn't catch on to this hip new slang.
Just say outhouse. LOL

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter