ID dug 1860s Cathedral Pickle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bob Lee

Reaction score
I don't think anyone directly answered one question for you. That is definitely an iron pontil. Dates it 1860s or earlier pretty solidly. I think most of us put the pontiled pickles in the 1850s-1860s. Not my area of collecting so I can't help you more. It appears to be a fairly rare mold and it certainly appears to be in excellent condition for a dug bottle. Amazing to see something that big come out intact.

Congrats.

Jim G
I agree it’s extremely rare, although it was more of an isolated surface find found in pure white sand, partial exposed through erosion. Thx!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Below are only Keyhole Pickle Jars that made it to a major auction. Pretty rare. And these are both 8 1/2" versions but it gives you an idea of the range depending on the color and grade. If indeed the 11.5” version is even more rare north of $1,000 definitely and over $2,000 is possible with the right bidders. Does anyone have a Zumwalt reference book? What does it say?

PriceDescription
$275July 2019 · American Bottle Auction · Auction July 2019 lot 256
KEYHOLE PICKLE JAR. Applied top and open pontil 8 ¼” with applied mouth and iron pontil. Here’s a very early jar that has an unusual shape with the keyhole type pattern seen on some pepper sauce bottles. This is a fairly ornate jar for its period and one we have not seen before. There is an open bubble stretching from the top into the neck and this could use a light cleaning. It is, however, a beautiful example of early jar making and a welcome addition to any early glass collection. This was found in San Francisco, years ago. Grades an 8
More...
$3,000September 2011 · American Bottle Auction · Auction September 2011 lot 131
J MCCOLLICK & CO NEW YORK with KEYHOLE DESIGN and applied mouth and iron pontil, 8 ½”. Zumwalt-289, this one is also pictured on her cover. Circa 1850. Jane McCollick began as early as 1849, putting up her own pickles. That was quite unusual for the day, as women simply did not exist, as Zumwalt points out. These pickles are found even in San Francisco, which shows the popularity of her products. This example is truly outstanding, as not only the color, an amazing medium blue, the condition is super with just the slightest traces of wear on only the highest points. Definitely one of the nicest pickles we’ve ever handled. Grades a 9.5.
More...
The Mccollick is not a Keyhole jar in my opinion. I own 3 varieties of the Mccollick bottles. Large round one and 8 1/2" square one and an open pontiled 4" aqua one with an embossed potted plant! I suspect that one is unique. Found by a contractor in the 1990s and sold on Ebay in an odd category like primitives or something. I found it as a fluke by searching Mccollick. Lucky hit! I think The design on the middle sized square one is odd and fancy but quite different than the keyhole on these keyhole pickles and sauces. I also believe the Mccollick to be an Albany Glassworks product. One was sold years ago simply narked Albany Glassworks and it had the same designs on side as the Mccollck and shape , size and style too. Wish i bought it :( I'm still on the fence but still believe the keyhole jars are Western glass or maybe mid-western. They don't seem to show up much in New England anyway.

east texas terry

Reaction score
Please find attached a photo of an 11.5” cathedral pickle. I’ve been told it’s 1863, made Pittsburg, Penn. However, I cannot find one with this specific design. See photo. It also appears to be an iron pontil. Thx! Would like value as well.
Dug this 14 inch Cathedral pickle & a small one & about 6 broke one out of a civil war hut in Va. IMG_2157.JPGIMG_2159.JPGIMG_2162.JPGIMG_2163.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 53

Bob Lee

Reaction score
Below are only Keyhole Pickle Jars that made it to a major auction. Pretty rare. And these are both 8 1/2" versions but it gives you an idea of the range depending on the color and grade. If indeed the 11.5” version is even more rare north of $1,000 definitely and over $2,000 is possible with the right bidders. Does anyone have a Zumwalt reference book? What does it say?

PriceDescription
$275July 2019 · American Bottle Auction · Auction July 2019 lot 256
KEYHOLE PICKLE JAR. Applied top and open pontil 8 ¼” with applied mouth and iron pontil. Here’s a very early jar that has an unusual shape with the keyhole type pattern seen on some pepper sauce bottles. This is a fairly ornate jar for its period and one we have not seen before. There is an open bubble stretching from the top into the neck and this could use a light cleaning. It is, however, a beautiful example of early jar making and a welcome addition to any early glass collection. This was found in San Francisco, years ago. Grades an 8
More...
$3,000September 2011 · American Bottle Auction · Auction September 2011 lot 131
J MCCOLLICK & CO NEW YORK with KEYHOLE DESIGN and applied mouth and iron pontil, 8 ½”. Zumwalt-289, this one is also pictured on her cover. Circa 1850. Jane McCollick began as early as 1849, putting up her own pickles. That was quite unusual for the day, as women simply did not exist, as Zumwalt points out. These pickles are found even in San Francisco, which shows the popularity of her products. This example is truly outstanding, as not only the color, an amazing medium blue, the condition is super with just the slightest traces of wear on only the highest points. Definitely one of the nicest pickles we’ve ever handled. Grades a 9.5.
More...
Getting a little lost in my replies but thank you for all of this great information. It’s unlikely that I will ever come up with a dug bottle like this.

sandchip

Reaction score
Please find attached a photo of an 11.5” cathedral pickle. I’ve been told it’s 1863, made Pittsburg, Penn. However, I cannot find one with this specific design. See photo. It also appears to be an iron pontil. Thx! Would like value as well.
Bob, your pickle is pictured on page 455 of Zumwalt's book at lower left. Listed as rare. Very difficult to make out details as is the case with many of the pictures in her book. She did a great job at the time, but an updated edition is much needed.

I found one pictured from the Rogers collection here: https://www.peachridgeglass.com/2011/07/cathedral-pickle-picture-page/

Attachments

• pickle1.jpg
    pickle1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 69

Bob Lee

Reaction score

Bob Lee

Reaction score

Johnny M

Reaction score
Hey Bob. Just browsing old threads and was wondering if you still have this pickle jar and might it become available at all at some point. Just thought I might check in as it never hurts to ask. I'm looking at picking up a rare Underwood variant I have wanted for 20 years in a couple of months from an old friend and that brought your bottle to mind. Just thought I'd give you a shout. Looks to be in great shape and real clean. Great color too! Johnny M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen