If in Pittsburgh, a blob soda needs a new home

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

herndonbottles

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was in downtown Pittsburgh for Ribfest. My wife is a huge Steeler fan and wanted to see and have her picture taken with the Steeler's six superbowl trophies at Heinz field. While we were parking the car, I noticed dirt pile at a construction site nearby. There was a noticeable area of darker dirt that caught my attention.

After pictures were taken and we had our fill of ribs and barbeque, my wife and her Mom went over to Jerome Bettis' restaurant for a drink. I told them I would meet them and walked over to check out the site. As I peered over the fence I could see cinders, rust, and some shards. Laying halfway up the side of the dirt pile is an aqua blob soda from the 1880/90s. It looks like it's intact. I was unable to find a way in after walking the entire perimeter of the site. It was tight and there were just too many people milling about in the middle of the afternoon.

It's driving me crazy that I couldn't get it. Maybe someone else can get it or has already been to the site and knows about that soda lying there. If you do let me know what it is. [:)] There's also a small clear bottle in the pile also. The site is between Heinz Field and PNC Park with the dirt pile under an overpass. Someone might want to get there soon, as it looks like they may be getting ready to haul the pile away.

Peter

Just Dig it

Reaction score
or a bottle of cloraphorm and a construction workers outfit...What? it might be a nice blob[:D]

Nice of you to care more that its gotten and less who by herdon..generous post

is it wrong to say id be trespassing if i saw a nice blob in a construction zone?

wouldnt be the first time

druggistnut

Reaction score
Peter,
Go up to the gate and catch someone going in. Tell them you'll give them $10.00 for the bottle, if they will go retrieve it for you.
I knew there was a reason I liked digging with you. (grin)
Bill

herndonbottles

Reaction score
Gunther,
I thought about the grabbers you can buy at Walmart. I would have needed one that's about 10 to 15 feet long. It's about at most 15 feet from the fence. It's mostly exposed it wouldn't take much to knock it loose. If there was a long piece of pvc pipe or 2 by 4 laying around, I would have tried to reach it and drag it to the bottom of the fence. I guess I could have thrown something at it but that wouldn't be a good idea unless I wanted a broken blob.

Just dig it,
I know it could be a nice blob and the site is posted. It wouldn't have been the first time I've visited such a site, but we left Pittsburgh around 4pm to drive back to Virginia. It requires a bit more bravery to jump in or it might be better suited for a night time visit.

Bill,
No one working at the site on Sunday. If they were working it would have been a good idea to ask a worker to hand it to me.

I'm just hoping someone in the Pittsburgh area will see the post, go there and get the blob, then tell us all what it is. I would rather have somebody have it, then nobody have it, or see it get broken. Who knows, if there's bottles showing on top, then there's probably more buried below in this trash layer.

-Peter

craigc90

Reaction score
I was at the first preseason game a few weeks ago and I kept looking around at the bottom of all those cement pilars there was shards and cinders all over the place but the fences kept me out too. I work about 15 mins. from there marbe I need to take ride down there and do some investigating.

herndonbottles

Reaction score
Craig,
Look for the dirt pile. It's under the overpass. Good luck. Hope you have time to check it out and that the pile hasn't been hauled away.
-Peter

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1