Impromptu Demolished House Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bloodj2

Reaction score
In one of the older neighborhoods in town, one of the houses was demolished and dug down about 3 or 4 feet. From the road I could see glass shards all over the pit. Once in the hole, it became apparent that this was a TOC Dump. It was very ashy, and the walls of the pit were unstable, but all over the ground were pieces of brown cokes, whisky bottles, some broken bitters, food containers,etc. After poking around in the wall under a pile of plate glass, I found some local soda bottles: T.C. Fox shoulder writing, two Knoxville Bottling works bottles (one in clear and one in brown), as well as a 7oz Knoxville Chero Bottle. I'll take pictures of them when they're cleaned up. They're currently soaking.

I also found three local pharmacy bottles. One is very common, but it's a size that I didn't have yet, the other two I had never dug before in any size so I was really happy about that. All are BIM

Pictures below:

5.5inch tall Kuhlman's Drug Store
IMAG1015.jpg

6 inch tall Sonner's Drug Store
IMAG1014.jpg

6.5 inch tall Sharp's Drug Store
IMAG1013.jpg

Sonner's Pharmacy (courtesy of local archives)

sonners.jpeg

bloodj2

Reaction score
All Together with a smaller Kuhlman's for comparison.

IMAG1016.jpg

Also I know the Sonner's needs more cleaning. There's stuck-on medicine near the top inside so it's continuing to be soaked in Barkeeper's Friend.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
We get quite a few bottles out of demos by simply asking the operators to help us out. Offering a case of their favorite beer is advised. If the lot has to be bundled up as part of the demo, might as well take advantage of the equipment being there. I know Rick may think it's cheating or lazy.[8D]

PD

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

We get quite a few bottles out of demos by simply asking the operators to help us out. Offering a case of their favorite beer is advised. If the lot has to be bundled up as part of the demo, might as well take advantage of the equipment being there. I know Rick may think it's cheating or lazy.[8D]

PD
Somebody here was asking about how to shore up a 32 foot deep hole. Ifn you can use a backhoe on site ya wont have to be in that much danger. Some of the profesional diggers that I know swear by them.......

bloodj2

Reaction score
uh oh, Mike did I give to much info away?

Thanks everybody! It was just starting to get good when the owner of the property came over and told me to get lost. Said I could take the bottles I had, but didn't want me digging there anymore. >.< argh....

Also, here are the sodas. They're pretty well patina'd so this is the best I could do with the photos. Maybe a trip to the tumbler is in their future.

The T.C. Fox has a small crack and a chip off the lip and bottom. I'll keep it until I find a better one.

left to right: TC Fox, Knoxville Bottling Works, Knoxville Bottling Works, 7oz Chero Cola
IMAG1017.jpg

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

PD
aint nothin like diggin a undisturbed use layer or dump,but the older i get bring on the backhoe!

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bloodj2

uh oh, Mike did I give to much info away?

Thanks everybody! It was just starting to get good when the owner of the property came over and told me to get lost. Said I could take the bottles I had, but didn't want me digging there anymore. >.< argh....

Also, here are the sodas. They're pretty well patina'd so this is the best I could do with the photos. Maybe a trip to the tumbler is in their future.

The T.C. Fox has a small crack and a chip off the lip and bottom. I'll keep it until I find a better one.

left to right: TC Fox, Knoxville Bottling Works, Knoxville Bottling Works, 7oz Chero Cola
IMAG1017.jpg
ha god for you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday