IN SEARCH OF ~ FIRST SODA BOTTLE COLLECTING BOOK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
IN SEARCH OF ...

The first book devoted specifically to soda bottle collecting.

In 1970, Cecil Munsey published a book titled "The Illustrated Guide To Bottle Collecting," but because that book includes a variety of different types of bottles, I am excluding it as being the earliest. What I am hoping to find is the first SODA BOTTLE 'only' book.

The earliest soda bottle collecting book I have been able to find so far is the one by ...

Ron R. Fowler ~ 1984 ~ "An Introduction To Collecting Soda Pop Bottles"

If you know of an earlier soda bottle collecting book, please let us know.

Thanks

Sodapopbob

~ * ~

Ron R. Fowler

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-EMBOSSED-Pop-SQUAT-Hutchinson-SODA-hutch-COBALT-BLUE-glass-ACL-bottle-book-/380658506766?nma=true&si=YvQ5EywCiWPL0gXR0PFJQiPR3tE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.hutchbook.com/Collecting%20Bottle%20Books%20CSPB/Default.htm

9E94F086395A4E4CBA5264D6AB9FEE29.jpg

Attachments

• 9E94F086395A4E4CBA5264D6AB9FEE29.jpg
    9E94F086395A4E4CBA5264D6AB9FEE29.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 85

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As most of you probably know, my threads rarely stay on topic and often zig-zag from one (hopefully related) topic to another. So while I am researching additional information related to early soda bottle collecting books, I thought I'd add this to the mix as it relates to another aspect of soda collecting from 1936.

Check it out! Have you ever heard of "Bottle Cap Baseball?"

The Southeast Missourian (newspaper) ~ Cape Girardeau, Missouri ~ August 12, 1936

http://xrl.us/bpsg9y

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Hi bob, Cecil is one of my favorite bottle writers, and I receive his Musings, little gifts of knowledge with glad anticipation! To toot a bit about a local writer's early soda bottle book, was EASTERN BOTTLES & PRICE GUIDE by Carlo and Dot Sellari, Volume #1 was published in 1969/1970. Like Mr. Munsey's , Selari's many books, included a wide variety of glass. He lived less than one half mile from me once, before moving to digs in Florida and later in California. Many of my well researched pits, privys and other bottle haunts have been spoiled by his earlier intrusion, decades before! His signature mark was to break everything, he threw back in, before returning the dirt!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CW ~

Thanks for sharing.

I met Cecil Munsey at a bottle show a couple of years ago and he reminded me of Santa Claus - always smiling - laughing - jovial - and even had a pot belly. The only thing missing was the white beard. A heck of a nice guy who always had an educated reply to any bottle related question. He must be at least 80 years old now and still plugging away with the bottle stuff.

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score
I have over 150 soda books in one bookcase: soda company histories from the 1940's on and books on soda bottles from the 1960's on. I have several hundred periodical articles on soda bottles and history in a file cabinet.

A36F3B504D864E40BE35E18BA287BCFD.jpg

Attachments

• A36F3B504D864E40BE35E18BA287BCFD.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 84

celerycola

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: celerycola

I have over 150 soda books in one bookcase: soda company histories from the 1940's on and books on soda bottles from the 1960's on. I have several hundred periodical articles on soda bottles and history in a file cabinet.

DD65CC42A6724B14BE52E3893E90E727.jpg

Attachments

• DD65CC42A6724B14BE52E3893E90E727.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 83

celerycola

Reaction score
Most of these were purchased direct from the authors at shows over the last forty years.

2F416219E1E94EB7BDC981E5094B040A.jpg

Attachments

• 2F416219E1E94EB7BDC981E5094B040A.jpg
    2F416219E1E94EB7BDC981E5094B040A.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 82

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Celerycola / Dennis:

What part of this thread's title do you not understand? It was intended to be a search for the earliest published book devoted specifically to soda bottle collecting. It was not intended for you to brag about how many books you have in your collection. Nor was it intended for you to be my big brother - follow me around - and criticize every single thing I do on this forum. If one of your 150+ books is earlier than Ron Fowler's 1984 book, then fine, please share it with us. If not, then please refrain from trying to be the Godfather of this forum and expecting everyone to abide by your personal rules. I honestly don't give a rat's tail how many books you have in your library, nor am I interested in how many bottle shows you attend on a yearly basis. Just because you have the flexibility in your schedule to travel whenever you want to doesn't mean that should apply to everyone. And as far as Internet/Google searches are concerned, if it weren't for the Internet this forum wouldn't even exist, not to mention that more Internet links are posted on the forum threads than there are references to what books everyone should be buying. In fact, I can't recall the last time that someone, including yourself, even recommended a good soda bottle book. I'm not saying that books, periodicals, and the like aren't good references, because they are. I'm just saying you don't need to keep reminding us about it, especially when it comes across in an arrogant manner which seems to be your trademark. We get it, okay? You're mister know it all and the rest of us are just subordinates who are groveling at your feet hoping you'll save us from ourselves.

Since I'm in the mood to do some criticizing of my own, I might as well point a finger at those two cronies of yours, namely OsiaBoyce and T D. Does Osia really expect us to buy into his new rant about how its the labels and not the bottles we collect? The least he could have done was to come up with something original and not steal a quote from Rick Sweeney's 2002 book. Lately he sounds like Chicken Little running around shouting, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" As for T D, he strikes me as nothing more than a lap-dog who follows you and Osia around begging for scraps. Have you ever noticed how Osia and T D will often post replies back to back in support of each other? When one of them post a snide remark the other will often reply back with "yeah, man, I ditto that."

Yeah, I know, you'll probably reply to this and say something about how you're only looking out for everyone's best interest and that you're only intention is to try and save them from assumptions and misinformation. And then you'll probably say something about how I'm the one leading them down a path of doom and dismay. Well, I hate to brake it to you like this, but every member on this forum is intelligent enough to draw their own conclusions and glean what they need from the information I provide no matter how accurate or assumptive that information might appear on the surface at times. They don't need you to constantly criticize and correct me in order for them to see the light. If that were the case then we might as well change the name of this website from Antique-bottnes.net to "Ask Celerlycola ~ He Knows Everything ~ And If He Doesn't Know ~ OsiaBoyce and/or T D Will"

If my unsubscribing to this forum is what's necessary for you guys to get off my back, then I am prepared to consider that. But that would be unfortunate because participating on this forum is something I truly enjoy and hope that my meager contributions carry at least some small measure of merit.

And, please, please do not tell me that all you want is for me to state the facts and state the facts only, because I don't think there's a single member here who has all the facts. In fact, one of the main reasons I'm a member myself is not only to seek out those so called facts, but to ask others for their assistance and then to collectively share and enjoy what we find. There is not a vindictive bone in my body and this posting is not intended to be as such. Its just that I'm dog-tired of being criticized by members who claim to be experts and who should know better than to keep kicking a guy until he calls 'uncle.' But if that's what it takes, then I'll satisfy your arrogance and cry ...

"UNCLE!"

Are you happy now?

Bob

fishnuts

Reaction score
Wow!
From a post I just wrote on another thread:

"...scrutiny is part and parcel of this entire forum, dontcha see. If you can't scrutinize or be scrutinized without your panties getting in an uproar, well...it's time to grow up.

I never grew tired of doing hundreds of hours of looking at bottle bases, logging data, making comparisons as to similiaritys and differences, finding anomalies and uncovering history as only the bottles (not myth, legend lore, books, authors, can tell.)
I never grew tired of responses. Bullying, unjustified or otherwise...lol.
I grew tired of the hardheads wanting to keep believing in their myths and not learn.
But, hey, thats what one gets to do here. Stay where you are. Grow and move on. "

nhpharm

Reaction score
The earliest one I am aware of is "Dictionary of Soda & Mineral Water Bottles" by John C. Fountain and Donald Colcleaser and published by Ole Empty Bottle House Publishing Company in 1968. You can get a copy of this book cheap on www.abe.com...I think it was a pretty popular book at the time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583