INDIAN GRINDING TOOL

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

vtspring

Reaction score
I WENT DIGGING NEXT TO THE WINOOSKI RIVER HERE IN VERMONT.THE AREA IS A PROVEN SITE FOR EARLY INDIAN ARTIFACTS.I MUST HAVE DUG 20-30 TEST HOLES THAT DAY WITH NO LUCK AT ALL.I WAS TELLING A FRIEND LATER THAT NIGHT WHERE I HAD BEEN,WHEN HE SAID"I HAVE SOMETHING I'LL SELL YOU THAT I DUG"IT SEEMS THAT HE HAD BEEN DIGGING WORMS AND DUG WHAT I BELIEVE IS AN EARLY INDIAN GRINDING OR TANNING TOOL!THE ABANICKI INDIANS POPULATED THIS AREA FOR MANY HUNDREDS OF YEARS.HE WOULD NOT TELL ME WHERE HE DUG IT,BUT DID AGREE TO SELL IT TO ME.I AM GOING TO TRY TO POST SOME PICTURES.

vtspring

Reaction score
HERE IT IS .(I HOPE)

Om32234.jpg

Attachments

• Om32234.jpg
    Om32234.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 139

vtspring

Reaction score
HERES HOW TO HOLD IT .LOL

Bz79154.jpg

Attachments

• Bz79154.jpg
    Bz79154.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 130

leebran20

Reaction score
In the first pic, where you're not holding it, the "hole" appears deeper than the second, where you have your thumb in it (or are they two different holes of varying size on the artifact?). We have Hawaiian artifacts here that look very similar to the way the artifact looks in the first pic and they were used as lamps. Oil from animals was used in the well along with a wick of bark cloth. Sometimes, they also have a second shallower indentation to ease gripping them.

Brandon

Scarlet Lily

Reaction score
Thats pretty neat, much more defined than the ones I've found. The ones I've picked up have a nice amount of wear, and even small indentions, but not as deep as that. Nice buy!

vtspring

Reaction score
there is only 1 thumb indentation,thank you for the replies.Im selling it on ebay right now and have not had $2 open bid yet,go figure.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide