Info on ceramic insulator?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bumpa66

Reaction score
Today I found this brown ceramic insulator walking a power line. It was attached to an old wooden board off the previous power pole. It is 4 3/4 inches tall, 4 1/4 inches wide at the base, and 13 inches in diameter at the base. I don't know anything about these. Are these collectable? How old is it? How much is it worth? There were two more there, so I will go back and get the other two if it is worth it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

F163A2AD0FA340E1A16F660CFCBB262C.jpg

Attachments

• F163A2AD0FA340E1A16F660CFCBB262C.jpg
    F163A2AD0FA340E1A16F660CFCBB262C.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 97

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I didn't see anything 13" except the over all length. It is an interesting insulator, but I only collected glass ones years ago. RED Matthews

botlguy

Reaction score
Those are pretty new, mid 20th century, reletively common and worth maybe $5 - $10 if you find someone who wants one. It should be stamped (incuse) with the name LOCKE. The color somewhat dictates the value of these, that chocolate brown being the least desireable. There are some size and style variants but it has little influence on value although the very large ones are more scarce and bring a little more sometimes.

Bumpa66

Reaction score
Thanks Red. This has a 13" diameter. It is fairly large from the sizes I have seen on other insulators.

Bumpa66

Reaction score
Botlguy, thanks for the info. It is stamped with LOCKE. This one is fairly large, compared to other insulators I have seen. Should I take the threaded rod out or keep it attached? I tried to take it out, but it didn't budge. before I put some force on it to take it off, I want to get someone's opinion on whether it should come off. I don't want to damage the insulator.

botlguy

Reaction score
Just for clarification purposes, this type material is referred to as "Porcelain" rather than ceramic although technically that may be just as valid. Also, in the hobby, circumference is rarely if ever used. the important measurements are: Height X Diameter at the base for uni-part (1 piece) and Height X Diameter of the various widest parts in Multi-part insulators.

You don't give dimensions of this one but I can pretty much tell it's about medium size. As far as the pin, the pin is worth almost as much as the insulator, at least $2 -$3, and it's presence will add a little to it's overall value but not much. The insulators are most often dispayed without pins unless they are mounted on a cross arm or some such. If you really want to remove it, first determine that it has not been cemented in with what looks like grout or morter, then put the PIN in a vice, put a STRAP wrench around the skirt (lower part) and apply as much COUNTER CLOCKWISE pressure as it takes. I doubt you can break it this way. I have never broken an insulator, either glass or porcelain, this way and have never failed to loosen one. I have had to apply pressure with a cheater bar and have bent the handle of the strap wrench.

That's about all I got. Good luck. Jim

Bumpa66

Reaction score
Botlguy, thanks for all the info. It does look like there is some grout or mortar. I will give it a try and see if I can break it loose. Thanks again.

BillinMo

Reaction score
By all means, give Jim's suggestion with a vise and strap wrench a try. But if the pin's been cemented in place, there won't be much you can do to remove it short of using acid to eat away the pin and cement. That'll take a long time, perhaps months, and requires having a safe place to leave acid to do its work and not destroy other stuff with the fumes. I'd only recommend going to that trouble if you want to display the insulator by itself.

Most post-WW2 brown porcelain won't generate a lot of interest from collectors. This "Hi-Top" is a common power distribution style that saw use in a lot of areas across the US and Canada.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide