INSURED BOTTLE?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
I JUST READ BOUT POOR BARBARA'S PLIGHT IN GETTING BROKEN BOTTLES FROM EBAY. SOME OF THE THINGS DISCUSSED WAS ABOUT IT BEING INSURED.

I READ SOME YEARS AGO IN THE ANTIQUE BOTTLES AND GLASS COLLECTORS MAGAZINE WHERE A PERSON SAID [AT THAT TIME ANY WAY] THAT IT WAS A WASTED EFFORT TO INSURE AN ITEM . HE SAID HE HAD PAID A GOODLY AMOUNT ON A BOTTLE THAT WAS PROPERLY PACKAGED,AND INSURED , BUT TERRIBLY HANDLED BY THE POST OFFICE AND WAS BROKEN ON RECIEVING IT. HE TOOK THE POST OFFICE TO COURT AND WON,BUT IT COST HIM MORE THEN IT WAS WORTH,HE HAD THE MONEY AND FOUGHT IT ON PRINCIBLE.

MY QUESTION IS...HAS ANY BODY ON HERE HAD TROUBLE LIKE THIS FROM THE POST OFFICE IN RECIEVING A BROKEN INSURED BOTTLE? IF YOU GOT YOUR MONEY..WAS IT HARD? WHAT DID YOU HAVE TO DO,JUST SHOW IT WAS BROKEN AND PROVED IT WAS INSURED?

MARK [NYCFLASKS] MADE THE POINT THAT THE POST OFFICE WOULD NOT PAY IF IT DEEMED THE BOTTLE NOT SAFTLY PACKAGED,IS A BROKEN INSURED EVER "PROPERLY PACKAGED" TO THEM,OR IS THIS JUST ONE OF MANY WAYS THEY GET OUT OF PAYING?

JUST LOOKED UP "PROPERLY PACKAGED" FOR THE POST OFFICE,BUT WAS TOO LONG TO READ THROUGH IT ALL!

BASICALLY,GUESS I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT PROBLEMS OR NO PROBLEMS PEOPLE HAVE HAD GETTING THE MONEY FROM THE POST OFFICE FOR A BROKEN INSURED BOTTLE. THANKS! JAMIE

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
This is a good subject...is it worthwile to pay for insurance henceforth, as so much depends on the sellers packaging skills?

Another question is: what shipper is the gentlest on packages? Though the bottles were poorly wrapped, the box my demis came in was clearly marked "fragile" on five of it's six sides, yet dented corners tell you it was dropped.

Parcels I've received from FedEx have always been in the best condition. Though we're usually in the middle of their route, FedEx even delivered a box of plants marked "perishable" first that day. Granted, we live in the rural area of a smallish community...
What are your experiences?

I'm currently just trying to find a FedEx location to ship out of that doesn't add a bunch of surcharges. When comparing rates on-line they appear to be cheaper too!

Barbara

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Barbara, I retired from Fedex and receive a 75% discount on all shipments. The only problem is that I have to go to Harrisonburg which is 20 miles from here. The post office is more convenient but more costly. Sometimes when I have a large package I will ship it Fedex but usually I'll just use the post office.

wonkapete

Reaction score
I've been declining insurance for years now. It's a waste of money. Twice, I've had very expensive bottles broken, that were insured, but the post office always says it's the sellers fault for not packing well. It's never the post office's fault.

Not only that, they wanted me to get a 3rd party appraiser to determine the 'worth' of the bottle. I told them I paid for a $100 worth of insurance, so that's what I'm entitled to. They say no, they only pay what the bottle is 'worth'. Is that crazy? What it's worth to one isn't the same worth to another. And it's my burden to determine that.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Honestly poorly packaged items usually come down to low cost shipping. If the buyer doesn't want to spend extra to cover packing expenses. Or wants many items packaged together. They are causing the seller to cut corners to please their customer. Packaging material isn't cheap if you have to buy it. And to keep shipping costs low. A seller will try to find cheap alternatives.

Ebay has helped push this trend by controling what a seller can charge to ship an item. And their constant pushing of free and lower priced shipping.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" is true. So don't complain when a seller charges a couple dollars more to cover the cost of a well packaged item. And to add the insurance and delivery confirmation that is now required by ebay.

Chris

glass man

Reaction score
ONLY THING I EVER RECIEVED BROKEN WAS A 78 RECORD.ONLY BROKE ON ONE SIDE SO IT PLAYS.THE RECORD WAS ABOUT A TRAIN WRECK MY DAD TOLD ME ABOUT ALL MY LIFE THAT HAPPENED NOT FAR FROM WHERE HE LIVED.SOME HOW SOMEBODY SCREWED UP AND AND TRAIN COLLIDED WITH ANOTHER ONE,BOTH GOING TOWARDS EACH OTHER ,COULDN'T STOP IN TIME!

.HE WAS 7 IN 1926 WHEN IT HAPPENED AND HE ALWAYS SAID HE THOUGHT SOMEONE HAD MADE A SONG OF IT.HE WAS RIGJT AND AFTER A FEW YEARS OF SAVE SERCH ON EBAY IT TURNED UP!! VERY RARE RECORD.

THANKFULLY MOST BOTTLE DEALERS PACK WELL! I HAVE GOTEEN SOME THAT HAD A BIG DENT IN THE BOX ,BUT THE BOTTLE WAS INTACT!

JUST CURIOUS IF THE POST OFFICE EVER PAYS OFF. MAN WHAT A DRAG TO LOSE THE BOTTLE AND JUST THROWING MONEY AT THE POST OFFICE FOR NO GOOD REASON!!

Road Dog

Reaction score
I deal in pottery and had maybe 4 times I recieved brokes. Always insured and never a problem with the Post Office. Had to provide copies and pics of the item (in this case off Ebay) to prove what I paid and condition. Post offices used to let you buy back your broken items for an additional amount .Don't think they do that anymore. Recieved a rare Brush Cookie Jar broken and got insurance payment.I asked the woman ,What they were gonna do with the broken jar? She said , they will probably just throw it away. I couldn't bear to see this jar get throwed away because of a broken lid. She gave it to me and I took it home and repaired the lid. Displays great.

jays emporium

Reaction score
The 3 or 4 times I have received a broken bottle that was insured by USPS all I had to do was take it to the Post Office with the original packaging and a ebay receipt showing what I paid for it. They were apologetic and gave me the claim forms to fill out and within a few weeks I had a refund check from USPS. They did not give me a hard time about the item not being packaged well, barely even looked at the packaging in fact, just enough to confirm that it was indeed insured. Maybe some postal workers are hardass about it but the ones here were easy enough to work with.
Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1