Is it possible to locate bottles with metal detector?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
I was wondering if certain old glass bottles manufactured with a high mineral content could possibly be picked up by some of the better metal detectors? People who collect old glass insulators say they have found some with the use of a metal detector, but perhaps they are picking up the ones that have a small piece of wire still attached. Can anybody advise, as I am working on a magazine article and this is part of the research. Thanks.

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
To my knowledge there is no way a metal detector can pick up glass. The mineral content would have to be huge.

However many diggers use metal detectors on their hunt because where there is metal there is most likely glass too. The two were always thrown out together......:eek:)

Regards,
BA

IRISH

Reaction score
To pick up the Iron Oxide content of even black glass would require a detector so sensitive you would never be able to get it near the ground, could be detected though in air tests although it would probably not be a signal as such.

I can't think of any other Oxide that may be found in glass that would give even a threshold upset.

Gregory

Reaction score
Hello,
A metal detector will not detect glass in any way.
I to enjoy detecting the area where I dig for bottoles. The last time I was digging for bottles and found a few nice one I ran my Minelab EXII over the area of the dig and found a 1877 cc Seated Liberty dime!

I think bottle diggers should arm themselves with a metal detector and scan as they dig.
You can pick up a good Bounty Hunter at Walmart for under $200.

Hey folks, I'm still looking for Field Editors in the bottle dig area. If your interested give me a holler.
The Treasure Quest Magazine will cover Relic hunting,prospecting,bottle digging,metal detecting & Dowsing and maybe Indian Artifacts & fossils.

Release date set for the Spring of 2006

Gregory Bittinger
Publisher TQM

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229