Is My Codds a Fake?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David Fertig

Reaction score
Another. This one from:

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/whats-new-at-the-fancy-food-show

If you’ve ever opened a bottle of soda and thought to yourself “You know, this soda would be just perfect if only there were a marble inside the container,†you’re in luck. From Japan comes Marble Pop, four flavors of soda in a funky looking bottle (which the company describes as “Codd-neckedâ€) that can only be opened by pressing the top into a marble inserted in the lid (The marble is held in place by the soda's carbonation). The marble then sinks down into the soda leaving you free to enjoy the strawberry, green apple, and blueberry flavors as well as the enigmatically named “originalâ€. The company’s promoters call it a “fun interactive drink†and say it’s a gimmick that’s been used in Japan for years.

Which leads to:

http://www.marblepop.com/

3B091CDB1FB94A0B9C9D8010F6812EFA.jpg

Attachments

• 3B091CDB1FB94A0B9C9D8010F6812EFA.jpg
    3B091CDB1FB94A0B9C9D8010F6812EFA.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 391

oldschool

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

yours is fake no doubt,,, its the same exact picture as on the fakes site...

Having read your reply I realized you are right! I accidentally uploaded the picture I saved from the site I linked to.
Here is my bottle.

DEF91C9123A94466B0223A8D795E9093.jpg

Attachments

• DEF91C9123A94466B0223A8D795E9093.jpg
    DEF91C9123A94466B0223A8D795E9093.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 107

David Fertig

Reaction score
From The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/article1132808.ece dated Jan. 28, 2011

Almost anybody who grew up in Mangalore around 30 years ago would have rushed to goodangadis (small shops) with the few paise he or she had saved up and asked for goli soda: the soda bottle with the marble.

Prabhashankar Rao is the owner of one of the few goli soda shops in the city. Dust has settled on the numerous empty goli soda bottles in Mr. Rao's shop in Mahakalipadpu.

“I have stopped line sale, and only make soda when stock is over. Earlier, I had five people working for me,†he said. Line sale refers to delivering soda bottles to shops in a wooden carrier attached to the back of a bicycle.

Another goli soda shop in Jeppu Market has the tall wooden structure with small square holes to hold the bottles. However, the proprietor of the shop was out on “line sale†both times this correspondent visited the shop.

Competition

Five years after Mr. Rao set up his shop, Thumbs-Up and Torino came into the picture. Goli soda was then available in four flavours: chappe soda (tasteless), nannari (sweet flavour made from the root of a plant), ginger and Impto (cola). Back then, it sold for seven paise. The company manufactured drinks sold for a few rupees Mr. Rao recalled. Now even though it is “competitively†priced at Rs. 4, Mr. Rao claimed that it was still cost-effective.

Jayram Shetty, a petty shop owner who sells goli soda, said even three years ago goli soda sold better than it did now. “When they shut the liquor shops, this too got hitâ€.

The magic marble

Goli soda bottles are manufactured with the marble fixed at the bottleneck making them re-usable. Sudarshan, Mr. Rao's son said that the bottles were washed before re-use, and the rubber ring which held the marble in place can be replaced.

Mr. Shetty said he did not let customers take away the soda bottles as it was expensive to replace (One costs Rs. 15).

Other bottles comparatively cost lesser to replace if broken, he said.

Making goli soda was an exact art: if you don't pay attention to the number of times you swing the handle of the soda machine, the excess pressure can make the marble pop out of the bottle. Mr. Rao knows by experience; he has several knobs on his body from being hit by a marble.

Sudarshan said in interior areas, goli soda was still popular, but his father disagreed. “I could educate my son because I had this (soda shop), but he will not want to continue it,†Mr. Rao said.

Sudarshan, who holds a diploma in mechanical engineering, sits in his father's shop only on holidays.

David Fertig

Reaction score
And from http://www.parrikar.com/blog/2009/11/19/codd-soda-bottle/

I have fond memories of childhood summer days slaked by the mere sight of the Codd soda bottle – named after its British inventor Hiram Codd. In Goa we knew it as “Guddechi baatli†and possession of the embedded “goddo†(the glass marble) gave many a young brat not inconsiderable bragging rights.

Today the Codd bottle is on the verge of retirement. Khandelwal Glass Works in India and another company in Japan are believed to be the last two surviving manufacturers of this relic.

Sightings of the Codd bottle have now become scarce in Panjim. I managed to wangle a sample from the Mohan Cold Drink House in Cortin. However, the traditional wooden opener was not to be found. You may remember the ‘experts’ in the art of opening this bottle – they could lengthen the duration of the hiss by controlling the pressure on the marble as it dislodged.

For a historical perspective on soda bottles, see this.

David Fertig

Reaction score
Getting closer.

A row of bottles of Banta, an orange-flavoured drink, with lemons on top at a stall outside the Qutb complex in Delhi. Banta comes in Codd-necked bottles which have a marble as a stopper. The bottles are filled upside down, the pressure of the liquid forcing the marble into the neck of the bottle to form a seal against a rubber ring.

7210550C4A0C47108AC9C2B88F5DB824.jpg

Attachments

• 7210550C4A0C47108AC9C2B88F5DB824.jpg
    7210550C4A0C47108AC9C2B88F5DB824.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 116

David Fertig

Reaction score
Got it!

http://coddbottle.tradeindia.com/

http://coddbottle.tradeindia.com/Exporters_Suppliers/Exporter13076.589041/Embossed-Bottle-.html

It's not an exact match for embossing, but I believe it answers your question.

Anyone want to go into business here in the good ol' US?

About Us

Khandelwal Glass Works is one of the oldest Industry (established 1932 at Sasni (Hathras/ Mahamaya Nagar, UP.) glass manufacturing with brand name Victory & Deco Codd Bottles since 1981. The company is holding membership of “All India Glass Manufacture Federation' and U.P. Glass Manufacture syndicate'.

Khandelwal Glass Works feels proud to be the only manufactures of Empty Codd Bottles in India.

Management

Company's vision

The vision of the company is to be the forerunner in the industry and supply the best products to its valued customer.

Key Personnel

Name: Mr. Sanjay Jain
Designation: Managing Director
Background: Mr. Sanjay Jain is MD of the company. He has vast industrial experience and has been the guiding force behind the immense success of the company.

Our Unique Product

Khandelwal Glass Works, the sole manufacturer & worldwide exporter of Empty Codd Bottles presents codd bottles in unique shape in different colors – white, Blue, Green and in any color of customers' choice in bulk quantity in different capacity with world class quality. Embossed bottle are also available for customer brand identity.

What are Codd Bottles

A British soft swig maker based in South East London, Hiram Codd of camber well, designed, developed and patented the Codd bottle for carbonated drinks in the year 1872. It would never need a cork to form the closure because trapped in its neck it had a glass ball or marble which could not leave the neck chamber. This allowed the bottle to be used many times without the expenditure of a cork. The bottle was filled under gas pressure forcing the marble into the lip where it met rubber washer retained in groove. The marble was forced against the washer forming a perfect airtight seal. The codd bottle is widely used to pack carbonated drinks like soda water/ aerated water. The codd bottle is also popularly known as banta, kancha bottle, goli bottle, soda bottle, goti bottle ect in India.

What is Soda water/ Aerated Water

Soda water/ Aerated water is plain water into which carbon dioxide gas is dissolved. Soda water is of two kinds i.e. Plain soda water (Aerated soda water) and flavored soda water (Aerated beverages). In plain soda water carbonic acid gas and sodium bicarbonate solution under pressure are mixed with pure water. Flavored soda water contains flavors of lemon, ginger, masala soda, milk rose, mango, cola, orange, pineapple etc in syrup base and this preparation is also made using carbonic acid gas under pressure.

Bottle Accessories

Label: - You can put stylish & attractive design paper / plastic label of different colors on your bottle for brand identity & unique presentations. We can provide you assistance.
Bottle Opener: - Bottle Opener are to open the bottle

Bottle Opener are of two different kinds:
1. Regular size are of wooden, plastic & metal material and in different colors.
2. Opener for whistling are uniquely designed to give whistling sound while opening the bottle
3. Opener for take away Bottles. These opener can be supplied by us. These are available with Empty Codd Bottles.

Bottle Washing Brush: - It is uniquely designed to wash & clean the empty used bottle properly either manually or by machine (single, double & four brush bottle washing machine).
Rubber Ring (Washer): - It is placed in a a groove near the mouth opening of the bottle
Glass Ball or Marble: - It would not leave the neck chamber of the bottle.

Factory Tour

Factory Size (in sq. feet/ sq. meter): Factory is spread over a sprawling area of 25, 000 square meter and is located 175 Kms away from Delhi on Aligarh – Agra highway NH No. 93.
Factory Address: Khandelwal Glass Works, Tehsil – Sasni, District- Hathras (Mahamaya Nagar), Uttar Pradesh, (India).

Project Report

The climatic conditions, humid & hot summer season produces immense requirement of Soda, Lemon, Lemonade & Juices. So cold drinks, Soda drink businesses provide a wide opportunity to grow and flourish with developed machinery and production methods, lesser efforts and manpower. This industry can be made be made highly profitable with expert supervision and suggestions from time to time. You can make this more profitable.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973