IS THIS NOT A FAKE LABEL???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

T D

Reaction score
nudder look

this one Pensacola Fl

DSC04083.JPG

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
The broken line theory is just that a theory. It is/was because of some original labels that had faded broken lines. The problem with that is that not all labels continued to have broken faded secondary lines. With different printers time etc they became better. Some original labels are clear and sharp. Some fakes from the 70's into now are copies of originals with the broken line thus they have the broken line. Don't depend on that. Here's what you can depend on the paper. 99% of fakes are on the wrong kind of paper period. The paper is too thick is not the same thin type that was used during the early 1900-teens era. and it totally has the wrong feel. I have seen great fakes and horrible fakes and have owned many originals. With the modern color picture quality printers fakes from originals are simplistic but the paper and feel cannot be duplicated right. Please don't buy into the broken line faded line theory it will lead you into buying fakes and missing originals. I think the best gauge is seeing and feeling enough originals once you get the real feel look down you will be much harder to fool. I had a huge WW2 Nazi Collection. Nazi items are about 8-10 fake. But once you get the real feel smell etc down even the best fakes most of the time will not fool you. Same with paper items. I collect documents/paper items also and there are great fakes that abound. But most simply cannot stand close inspection. Looking online at a pic is not close inspection so usually I leave the item alone unless I know the source. Another thing you can bank on is this and few collectors know it original Soda lables were just spot glued, a line of glue down the edge not a label completely glued down that you can bank on [:D] . If it is completely glued down[:mad:] Take an original off a bottle and note where the glue marks are always at. bob

T D

Reaction score
Great info McDirt, thanks! Cap, sorry it was late last night, I should of explained, the Pensacola is a pic of one that just sold on fleabay...so I don't know

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Very few dug straight side embossed soda or any labeled bottles have a complete label, after being unearthed. Even the dug 1960 ACL sodas found lately rarely survive intact,most are severly faded, forget the 1930-40's era, post embossed, they are always blank. The oldest label intact bottle I have dug was one pre-prob Memphis Whiskey 1890's bottle, it still had a 85% label and the Tenn. tax stamp,it was inside a big tin can, so somewhat protected. I found several labeled 1930's Whiskey bottles with intact labels under the barn floor of a corn crib, like the previous labeled whiskey , they were very fragile and would fall apart with any handling. I have found and dug dozens of SS aqua and amber Coke SS , with a few Pepsi and others , never a label. Best place for these an attic or old country store.Rick

celerycola

Reaction score
I knew a guy in 1970 that found an original Coca-Cola label and had thousands reprinted that he sold. The trick is to look at the paper. New paper is dense and old paper is more porous.

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
Yes as I said the paper is the key. Looking at a broken line vs a solid line is a poor indicator of real or fake. It could be either with either. Real label paper is tough to copy unless you had a stock of it somewhere. bob

bamascavenger

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great replies! I learned a great deal of info. Such as the edges being glued verses the whole label, Does that apply to all paper label sodas, Pepsi, Etc??? Anyway, thought i wold share this story with you guys........I purchased a 100th Anniversary 3 set Coca Cola Bottle collection through the Atlanta Bottling Co. Years back, It has a copy of the first HUTCH bottle and a copy of a light blue SS with label (diamond) and a copy of the Prototype "ROOT" Bottle/Hobbleskirt. VERY small bottom compared to the actual run bottle. Only Prototype is owned by Atlanta. Anyhow, My dumb as sed head decided to take them out of the wooden display case and clean them in ordinary soapy dish water...well, low and behold the DIAMOND label started fading and bleeding the colors!! I was shocked! I thought it was painted on, but was a glued label!!Now what do i do? I ask myself, the set is crap now. I do some digging, found the Distributor that made these for the Atlanta Coke co. and i make a phone call, got this sweet lady on line and told her what happened. She said she would gladly send me a replacement free of charge! WOW! Great, i could no believe my ears. Well, guess what i got, a WHOLE new bottle with label not just the label i was asking for, now the new problem, The bottle collection has bottle dates and the one she sent me did not match, BUT the label did....carefully i pulled the label off and placed it on my original dated bottle. Never can tell it was changed....Tells me the bottles which are easy to tell are fake and the labels are easy to get! Sorry for such a long story, I thought it kind of funny, you know the stupid s_it we do. Have a great weekend, Terry.

bamascavenger

Reaction score
DIGGER, Did you have a ANTIPARTISAN Badge in your collection? I know these are the most faked. I have one, but i do not know if it is real or not. It is a 3 hole siver looking type. Several people on the WEHRMACHT AWARDS could not say without holding it etc.... Just did not feel conf to mail it to someone i did not know. Thanks, Terry.

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
Yes I had two sold one to a friend then when I finally sold the whole collection the last one left. If you can take some good pics and email me I will give you my input. On labels real bottles with real labels they are edge glued. I have a lot of original Soda's Pepsi Coke etc and they are all edge glued . Blown in Mold meds with paper labels are usually fully glued especially druggist bottles. I had a friend who worked for Pepsi in the WW2 post WW2 era he taught me that. He had a ton of originals with labels and they were all edge glued. I have also had several through the years come unglued I made it a point to look and again all edge glued. BOB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229