Is this onion bottle and what is vermo bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
I've seen one (and also have another) that is similar to the green seal bottle above, but both were older and had an odd pour spout top. Yours appears to be fairly recent. I'm assuming they are scotch bottles. I will dig mine up and get a picture, and also find the auction catalog where I saw the other one. It was described as a "great seal bottle", and I think it was a New Hampshire auction house, but I'll need to dig up that catalog.

Sean

ISLANDBOTTLE

Reaction score
Thanks Sean, I did finally find one on ebay it just described it as an old green bottle and it was listed for $14.99. The seal has a C and E with a crown.

TROG

Reaction score
Hi,
The dark amber handled bottle was for wine and dates to around 1900-1910. I have found several plain unbranded ones here in South Australia and only 1 that was embossed Aulds Squat Hock (Hock is like Reisling)

amblypygi

Reaction score
I managed to dig up that bottle and the auction mailer where there was a similar one listed. This one seems to me like it's maybe from the early 1900s, maybe the 20s? It has good base wear and it's not machine-made (see next photo also). It was listed in that Kenneth Aldrich estate auction as a "great seal bottle". I'm inclined to think it is a scotch bottle due to the pour-top, but I'm not sure. If anyone can tell me what the CE on the seal stands for I'd appreciate it, it's always been one of those mysteries that I couldn't figure out. I think I got it at a yard sale in Massachusetts for a quarter.

Thanks,
Sean

620EE8DE53F8456498DEDAF94BDA1BFD.jpg

Attachments

• 620EE8DE53F8456498DEDAF94BDA1BFD.jpg
    620EE8DE53F8456498DEDAF94BDA1BFD.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 42

ISLANDBOTTLE

Reaction score
Nice bottle, the color is pretty, much lighter than my bottle. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem