J.Dowse Stone beer ???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mike O

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about this stone beer, It is what I would say is OVERSIZE at least to the other stoners that I have. It is just over 11" tall and 3 3/4 at the base and 4 1/2 at the sholder. Any thoughts? If you look at digging and finding you weill see the story of where I dug it. Thanks Mike
Pontildump016.jpg

Pontildump017.jpg

stonebottle

Reaction score
Well Mike, I would just like to say that the J Dowse bottle is awesome. I did some research and I cannot find that name. The 11 inch tall size does not turn up as often as the regular size ones, and that large size usually is older, like pre-1860. The form and the color of the brown top also look like that age. Add to that the fact that pontiled bottles were nearby and evidence points to 1850's. That is the best dug stoneware bottle I have seen in a long time. Is looks like there is a partially stamped letter under the period after the letter J. Did you by any chance dig it in Massachusetts or New York?? Any damage? The twelve-sided pontiled ink you found looks just like the pontiled sapphire blue one I found in upstate NY and posted here a while back. Once again, awesome find and good luck with more finds. If you get the chance, post some pictures of your other stoneware bottles. stonebottle

Mike O

Reaction score
Thanks, Now that you say that about the mark under the period I do see it, however I don't think it is anything ar all. This bottle was directly with all the pontiled bottles that we found. This was dug in Massachusetts. Mike

KentOhio

Reaction score
That's really nice. I haven't seen a big one like that. The mark under the J is part of the J and part of the D partially double-stamped.

Atlas

Reaction score
Mike- Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I live in MA (Boston burbs) and there is a family by that name that has been in the same town for generations. If you want, you can PM me and I can tell you more. I might also be able to ask the family if they had a relative with that initial in the 1850-70 era. (I think that estimate would be OK, but let me know if you disagree.)

Great finds, btw!

Atlas

idig

Reaction score
I saw one at a fleamarket sell for about $10. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete