james ready beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

daddy66

Reaction score
neck...

3A3FE36E80EB44E39C68EAAE58175AA4.jpg

Attachments

• 3A3FE36E80EB44E39C68EAAE58175AA4.jpg
    3A3FE36E80EB44E39C68EAAE58175AA4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 85

jaimeelc

Reaction score
Daddy, from what I have read on this sight, and seen in pics I would say that you are holding a wine bottle, though I could not begin to date it for you. I find the "bump" as you refered to it interesting because it is so high. I do not remember the term either but I do know that that "bump" is used to catch sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so maybe it was made for storing home made wine. I would love some of those bottles to store my wine in. lol I just finished a batch but the sediment is Awful! my first try at it. lol but I have to call it a success because it tastes WONDERFUL! N-E-Way! I digress...[sm=tongue.gif]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The "bump" is
kickup.jpg
"Push-up or Kick-up Base

A common base feature of bottles of all ages is the indentation of the base upwards towards the top of the bottle. Base indentation is most common and pronounced on wine (image above left), champagne, and some spirits/liquor bottles but can be found to some degree in most classes or types of bottles since bottle bases are very rarely entirely flat. When the base indentation is shallow it is often described with terms like "indented" or "domed" - often with modifiers (e.g., slightly, moderately). When deep and distinct (like in the picture to the above left) the base indentation is referred to as a "push-up" or "kick-up"; the latter term being the most common term with collectors (Jones & Sullivan 1989). Push-ups were also called a "shove-up" by some early glass makers (Illinois Glass Co. 1908). The push-up is also referred to as a "punt" in some quarters (Wikipedia).

The term push-up comes from the early days of glass blowing where this base indentation was actually formed by physically pushing upwards in the center of the base with some type of tool while the bottle was still hot and plastic. This was the only way to accomplish this feature with free-blown bottles and was done with tools that were sharp, cone shaped, rounded, blunt, or even multi-part ("quatrefoil"). Different tools left different evidence of their conformation, as noted for the aqua bottle pictured above left which was "pushed-up" with a rod with a ball shaped head. Often these tools were used as pontil rods leaving behind distinct markings indicating the shape of the rod head. On many earlier black glass spirits, wine and beer bottles the use of these tools - which probably had the business end heated up in the furnace so as to not crack the bottle when used - caused a variably distinct bluish cast to the upper portion of the push-up (empirical observations). With the use of molds for forming bottles, the indentation was usually formed by the molds base plate (Jones 1971a, 1986; Boow 1991).

The reasons behind push-ups are varied. It may appear that the steep rise or pushed-up portion of the base was done to reduce the interior volume of the bottle. However, it was more likely done for some or all of the following reasons: for bottle strength enhancing, stability (i.e., the process helps form an even base and keeps the rough glass of some pontil scars out of the way so the bottle sits upright without wobbling), to provide a means of turning bottles in a stack using the fingers and thumb (a procedure still followed in traditional champagne manufacture), and/or possibly to trap content sedimentation (Jones 1971a; Boow 1991). Since push-ups are found on bottles dating from at least the early 17th century until the present day on machine-made champagne and wine bottles, there is no dating utility to this feature by itself (Jones & Sullivan 1989, Van den Bossche 2001). Other manufacturing based diagnostic features must be used. (Note: The best source of information on this subject is Olive Jones article in Historical Archaeology entitled "Glass Bottle Push-Ups and Pontil Marks" (1971a) which was reprinted in Miller, et al. (1991).)" Thanks to Bill Lindsey.

davis.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward