Keene Masonic Flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Marineboy2

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am looking for some info on a bottle I recenlty found and it was suggested I give a shout out to you guys.

I found a Masonic Flask while on a Scuba dive recently. I've done some research and found out a few things: It was from Keene Glassworks in New Hampshire. I believe it dates to 1815-1840. It has a pontil mark on the bottom (a circle about the size of a nickel) Its in rough shape..alot of general scuffing and it has a small hole at the very bottom edge. There is also a crack that runs off of where the hole is..but its only visible if you hold it to the light.
Also..the Keene is spelled KCCNC..thought this mite help.

A few questions:
1. Does anyone know which of the moulds this came from? If I understand this correctly..there were around 43 moulds during the time they were created. They had names like GIV-3 or some such. I cant find a listing of the moulds online tho.

2. Does finding the correct mould narrow the dating range?

3. Is this bottle worth anything seeing as its in rough condition?
Someone suggested $50-$100.

4. It was suggested that I place a bit of clear silicone in the hole of the bottle to keep it from cracking further?
Good or bad? Other suggestions?

Thanks for any help/info you can offer!
Joe

12909B2E6975457696550E748A3632FF.jpg

Attachments

• 12909B2E6975457696550E748A3632FF.jpg
    12909B2E6975457696550E748A3632FF.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 90

Marineboy2

Reaction score
Here is the reverse side.

3B71766BE3234B1AB5B6563BDCB83118.jpg

Attachments

• 3B71766BE3234B1AB5B6563BDCB83118.jpg
    3B71766BE3234B1AB5B6563BDCB83118.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 77

Marineboy2

Reaction score
And..the base..you can see the hole also.

2E464552E17D48E5965E7A22144CD7AD.jpg

Attachments

• 2E464552E17D48E5965E7A22144CD7AD.jpg
    2E464552E17D48E5965E7A22144CD7AD.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 82

tigue710

Reaction score
It is a GIV-18 historical flask, and dates from around 1840, a little latter in the productions of Keene Marlboro St Glass works in Keene New Hampshire where it was made. At the time it was made there were hundreds if not thousands of flask molds being used in different glass houses in the united states. In the first half of the 19th century flasks were a most popular item in America, and were decorated with all types of political and popular themes of the time.

GIV-18 is a mold classification number devised by early flask collectors and authors Helen McKearin and Kenneth M. Wilson in their book American Bottles and Flasks and Their Ancestry. It is used as a standard by collectors today. It can help date the bottle by possibly determining the glass house it was made at. Shape and context also help date the bottle, along with the manufacturing process.

Its not worth much, but a really excellent find! 20 would be correct in my opinion, but someone could possibly pay 100 for it. its worth what someone is willing to pay for it, although as an object you've found that connects you with your country's history it could be priceless!

I wouldn't use silicone, its possibly quite stable... I cant really suggest anything to use nor say its a bad idea to use something. Personally I wouldn't...

Nice find, and welcome to the blue pages...

epackage

Reaction score
Good to see Matt knew the correct designation...[;)]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello rineboy; It is a keeper - and especially because you found it. The hole and the crack wouldn't even phase my enjoyment if it was on my shelf. It is a wonderful item to own.
RED Matthews

Marineboy2

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone for the info!!
Epackage sent me this way..good call!!
I'm not really a collector..other than to place a few dozen in the windows and with flowers around the house!
Mostly I jus find some when I dive and keep the ones I like.
I had thought it was a GIV-17 or 18..so I was close. :) It is a great bottle. Its always amazing to think of the life a bottle such as this has led.
Who knows how long it was sitting under the sea..just waiting to be discovered.
Thanks for the link Glenn..that is gonna be a real help for future finds!!
Thanks again everyone..I'll be back when I find my next one!

Joe

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

GIV-18 is a mold classification number devised by early flask collectors and authors Helen McKearin and Kenneth M. Wilson in their book American Bottles and Flasks and Their Ancestry. It is used as a standard by collectors today. It can help date the bottle by possibly determining the glass house it was made at. Shape and context also help date the bottle, along with the manufacturing process.
Just a clarification / correction here so we don't circulate incorrect information.

Helen McKearin and her Father, George S. McKearin, devised the classification of flasks back in the 1930s and published "AMERICAN GLASS" in 1941 (I think) using that system. Earlier classifications such as Van Rensselaer were referred to and adapted to their system.

McKearin & Wilson updated the information on bottles and flasks from the previous volume in 1978. The latter work is most used today and should be lauded but credit should be given correctly to George and Helen in an earlier period.

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

ORIGINAL: tigue710

Just a clarification / correction here so we don't circulate incorrect information.

Helen McKearin and her Father, George S. McKearin, devised the classification of flasks back in the 1930s and published "AMERICAN GLASS" in 1941 (I think) using that system. Earlier classifications such as Van Rensselaer were referred to and adapted to their system.

McKearin & Wilson updated the information on bottles and flasks from the previous volume in 1978. The latter work is most used today and should be lauded but credit should be given correctly to George and Helen in an earlier period.

absolutely right, Gerorge McKearin actually came up with classification system much earlier then the publication of the flask book. I meant to say the book was the first publication of the sytem, I believe... Now im second guessing myself! I mix things up a bit sometimes and all my books are still packed away!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1